35ii bulkhead

PDX

Member III
The original in your boat was likely installed with the hull area open, before the deck/cabin top was lowered onto it. I don't know how the one in the photo happened (if that truly is the same boat as yours).

I've used 4 x 8 sheets of half inch plywood. Then of course you use two pieces. Four feet should be far enough from the centerline that the joint will be out of sight. I use a half lap joint, overcut for lots of slop initially. Then epoxy wet out all faces of the joint and let dry. Then sand the epoxy. Then install the larger bulkhead section in the boat. If you use hot glued blocks you can clamp the bulkhead to the blocks while you tab it in one side. Then, remove the blocks and tab the other side. Leave room in the tabbing for the smaller half lap section. After the larger section has been tabbed in, then tab the smaller section in place, using plenty of mush in the half lap. After your're done, glass over both joint seams.

unequaltee

Member II
Bulkhead replacement

I am not saying this is right, but the solution I came up with, was to use ¾ ply, and router a double lap for the joint. Each step being ¼ “ high and 2” wide. Glued with epoxy and screwed from both sides. I am very hapy with the result. I had intended to veneer over the whole board, but I am now thinking of thin 1/8”-3/16" thick planks glued with epoxy with v joints over the cabin face.
The most important thing here is the ply should not be in contact with the hull, so there are no pressure points on the hull, I used a 3/8” strip of polyurethane foam between the bulkhead and the hull, Ericson’s just used a gap, but that doesn’t look great.
I hope this helps
Good luck
Ian

GreenFlash35

We too will be replacing these bulkheads. Our boat GreenFlash has some flex from the tabbed bottom of the bulkhead to the top that is screwed on. This flex causes a Squeak Noise from the wood bulkhead to the glass ceiling. We’ve packed in some synthetic material to reduce the Squeak. We are planning on tabbing the top of the bulkhead to bottom of the deck/ interior ceiling. Any thoughts appreciated.

Last edited:

jengels

Member II
I have some ideas.

I have replaced the bulkhead on my E-30+. The whole process is documented here on the site. I think if you type in "New Bulkhead" my thread will come up. My boat is in Old Man's Boatyard in Port Jefferson Station. I would be happy to show you the results.

John Engelhardt
631-463-4199

Barr88

Member II
Hey JohnI'm staying in port Jeff on Saturday night. If I can I'll give you a call on sat or sun. Would love to check the boat out

Dave Neptune

Member II
Squeaks

I have an ole 35 and no more squeaks. I taped off the bulkheads and used a cut off file to rough up the area inside the headliner and the edges of the bulkkhead. I then got a tube of the West thickened epoxy and squeezed it into the gap. The clear epoxy is well hidden and blends to the varnish almost invisibly. the bulkheads are are firmly in place and it did not change the bonding of them to the "hull". The good thing is no more squeaks when sitting on the mooring or someone walking around on the deck at Catalina which I do around 15 ~20 weekends a year.

Dave Neptune :cool: