35 or 35-2 ??

Solace

Member I
Hello everyone. I own what was sold to me as a 1972 Ericson 35-2. However in the year and a half I've owned her I've run into some literature that suggest it's not a 35-2 but a 35? One of these books was the hull manual used by the boatyard for haul outs. In that book my hull or should I say where my prop shaft comes out (from the keel) suggest it's a 35. But my engine sits in the dinette settee which most of my other brochures says it's a 35-2???? I've have found a 6 digit number on a board under my cockpit above my fuel tank. I did check the number with documented vessel search and nothing came up with that number. I was thinking it could be my hull production number but that would have been alot of hulls for 1972. Any ideas? Steve

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
The 35s production of the 35-2 started in 69 and went through most of the 70s. My 70 is a 35-2 and if yours is a 72 it is definitely a 35-2.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Ericson HINs - Yada Yada....

Take a look at the attached - like the previous poster mentioned - the date you cited makes it a 35-2.

What's the hull number?

//sse

Attachments

• Ericson Hull Numbers.txt
    2.1 KB · Views: 51
  • CG_Sfty_Crclr_70_HINs.pdf
    180.5 KB · Views: 54

Solace

Member I
35-35-2?

Thanks for all the info. My boat is definitely a 35-2. However the decoder page of hull numbers makes no sense for me. Here is my HIN 527522. There are no letters anywhere. Can anyone figure these numbers out?

Solace

Member I
Your correct I have learned today that my HIN on all my paperwork is a CG doc. # Which I suspected earlier but when I ran that # on the CG search It came back zero??? So how does a guy with what is possibly an expired DOC number do to find out the original ERY number? Is there a plate stamped somewhere?
:esad:

CaptDan

Member III
The factory HIN should appear on the starboard upper corner of the transom. If the boat's been painted repeatedly, or there's some elaborate graphic hiding it, it's possible that stamp will be hard to see.
However, I seem to recall that earlier vintage E35-2s' hull numbers may have appeared elsewhere.
If that's the case, someone else with that vintage boat will have to chime in.

On a side note, if you want to document your boat, the old CG Doc number can be reactivated - that is - if you want to go that route.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Some of the earlier 35s did not have the number on the transom. I don't think they started until 73 or 74. It was not on my 70 and in all the crawling around I've done I never found it anywhere in the cabinetry. Lucky for me the number was on the registration!

Solace

Member I
Well according to the Doc# my boat is a 70 and not a 72 as it was sold to me???? I found a paper showing where they officially changed the name of my boat from Cynosure to Solace in 1989. And it was recorded in the Seattle office, so this boat has been in the Northwest for a long time. The fact that the boat came with 15 different sails and her rigging I'm assuming the previous owner was quite the race enthusiast??? I would really like to find out as much about this boat as I can. And since I cannot find a ERY number anywhere on my boat i'm more curious now than ever. It's starting to become an obsession.....lol. If anyone has an idea on tracking down the info Id appreciate any suggestions.....
:esad::esad::esad:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Do any of those 15 sails have a one-design (i.e. two or three digit) sail number on them? If so, that would establish your hull number.
Find some back issues of NW regional sailing magazines like Castoff, perhaps in a library or perhaps an archive at a local yacht club and look for racing results (1970's and 1980's) with your boat mentioned. Those will show the owner from its early days on the Sound.

Finding that history can be tedious but very interesting when you succeed.

Good luck,
Loren

Last edited:

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
would any of those sails happen to be an asymmetrical spinnaker that is in need of a new home? Just thought I'd ask

Matey

Member III
My stamp

Your correct I have learned today that my HIN on all my paperwork is a CG doc. # Which I suspected earlier but when I ran that # on the CG search It came back zero??? So how does a guy with what is possibly an expired DOC number do to find out the original ERY number? Is there a plate stamped somewhere?
:esad:

The only record I could find on my 1972 32-2 was a stamp on the rudder head and later confirmed with old pictures found aboard.
DMV was a hassle as mentioned in this thread
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?10286-New-here-and-just-bought-an-older-E32

Good luck, Greg

steer 025.jpg

Solace

Member I
Well I have found a stamped number on my rudder/tiller plate. #132-35. And my mainsail # is 19766...? So im going to assume the 132 is a hull production #? Havent located any old racing results to track down that mainsail #. Any other ideas???

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Well I have found a stamped number on my rudder/tiller plate. #132-35. And my mainsail # is 19766...? So im going to assume the 132 is a hull production #? Havent located any old racing results to track down that mainsail #. Any other ideas???

Is that main sail # repeated on your genny and spinnaker? That might be the racing number for that particular boat issued by US Sailing. The stamped #132-35 might be the proof the you have the 135th hull of the Ericson 35-2 series.

LB

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
That's Odd

35-2s started at 101 and 163 was built in Aug. of '70 so #132 would have been made late '69 or early '70 and you say that it is a '72.???? Where did you get the year from? I am not doubting the number as it was unlikely a mistake but it would change the year. Do you have ant photos of the interior as they did make subtle changes over the years. The very early ones had pin rails to cap the shelves and a post at the end of the nav station/ dinette bulkhead. Later they used a plank with oval grab holes and omitted the post. Edd

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
hull # trivia

35-2s started at 101 and 163 was built in Aug. of '70 so #132 would have been made late '69 or early '70 and you say that it is a '72.???? Where did you get the year from? I am not doubting the number as it was unlikely a mistake but it would change the year. Do you have ant photos of the interior as they did make subtle changes over the years. The very early ones had pin rails to cap the shelves and a post at the end of the nav station/ dinette bulkhead. Later they used a plank with oval grab holes and omitted the post. Edd

I do not know when Ericson started numbering their hulls with "100" but do know that my '88 is labeled hull #108, when in fact it is hull #8 from the Ericson factory.
I have heard rumors that other builders would start their model runs with 100 rather than at 001, but I am not sure why or to what advantage.

Loren

steven

Sustaining Member
I remember someone telling me in (or around) 1974 that it was so the numbers on the stern would all be the same length without the use of leading zeros.