35;MkIII Main Halyard

dsdemarest

Member I
Does anyone have a recommendation on where to buy a wire to line halyard to replace existing on my MKIII? Looking in the Everett - Seattle area. Any suggestions will be appreciated!

CaptDan

Member III
Off the shelf? No. You'll need a rigger to make one up for you. You might check with Ridenauer Rigging (a mobile service):

206-795-0610

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Czech Mate

Member II
I just recently purchased a replacement main halyard for our E32-2 from goodboatgear.com. It is a spliced wire-to-rope kit and is manufactured by US Rigging. A thimble and swage are included for the wire end. I have not had a chance to put it on yet but will probably be getting to it in the next week or so.

I believe that goodboatgear.com is located in the Seattle area. I ordered it online and had it within a few days. I don't know the particulars of the sizes you need for an E35, but here is a link that shows what they have. Goodboatgear had the lowest price I could find on the the halyard including shipping.

http://www.goodboatgear.com/detail/7199/ Wire-to-Rope Halyard Kits

Hope this helps.

Bill

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Why Wire?

I have not had a wire halyard on a boat in over 30 years......Did a lot of racing.....never a problem.....no scratched mast or fish hooks. Check it out....it makes a lot of sense.....probably a lot cheaper even with the new "SUPER" low stretch stuff.....just splice a shackle and away you go.

Good Luck

dsdemarest

Member I
Sheave Concerns

I have not had a wire halyard on a boat in over 30 years......Did a lot of racing.....never a problem.....no scratched mast or fish hooks. Check it out....it makes a lot of sense.....probably a lot cheaper even with the new "SUPER" low stretch stuff.....just splice a shackle and away you go.

Good Luck

Appreciate and understand the benefit of staying away from the wire, but I am concerned about the sheave and if it will handle the line OK without being replaced. The wire portion on my halyard is long enough that the line never passes over the sheave.

Czech Mate

Member II
I had the same concern about the sheave at the masthead. That's why I went with the rope-to-wire halyard. I will be replacing the halyard with the mast stepped and don't want to take on the trouble of replacing the sheave to accommodate an all-rope halyard.

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Don't Worry about the sheave

When I first had my boat delivered the mast was down......Original wire to rope halyard and masthead sheave......checked it out and absolutly no problem running the rope over the sheave......

Just had the mast Awl Gripped last year, and the rigger said that the fact that I replaced the wire to rope did not make any difference.....at any rate, I have had the rope halyard going over the old sheave for five years now with no ill effect.....and likewise the Genoa halyard......

Do what you will.....I just HATE wire on the mast.

Good Luck