35-II tall rig - Topping Lift Measurment

jthistle

Member II
Can anyone out there save me the trouble of going to the boat for a measurement?

I'm going to replace the topping lift and wondering what the measurement would be. I'll take an educated guess from anyone and build in a few feet for error. ;)

How long (and how thick) a line would I need for a new topping lift?

thanks for any help...

jt

CaptDan

Member III
Can anyone out there save me the trouble of going to the boat for a measurement?

I'm going to replace the topping lift and wondering what the measurement would be. I'll take an educated guess from anyone and build in a few feet for error. ;)

How long (and how thick) a line would I need for a new topping lift?

thanks for any help...

jt

Is your topping lift a 'running' or adjustable rig? If adjustable, is it hoisted at the mast or at the aft end of the boom via a cleat? Or - is it a static line attached to a mast top tang and boom end shackle?

While you're pondering all that here's what I have on my '77 E35II:

Standard rig (40 foot mast), topping lift shackled to mast top tang, boom end cleated. The boom end can be raised a few feet to accomodate cockpit gatherings by taking up on the cleated end.

Length approximately 45 feet (38 feet plus 7 feet for hoist);

Specs: 38 feet 3/16ths 7x19 stainless wire, eyes swaged both ends - shackled to swivel block; 7 feet of 1/4" Dacron rove through block - standing end tied to pad eye port side boom end, standing end belayed to 3" Marelon cleat boom end starboard.

For a tall rig add another 2 feet to either the stainless or Dacron line.

PS: Another thing to consider is to ditch the topping lift completely and install a rigid vang.

YMMV.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Last edited:

jthistle

Member II
toppinglift

Thanks C'apt Dan...

Thanks...thats what I was looking for. My topping lift is adjustable and runs back to a mast base cleat. I'm going with 3/8 halyard line. I'm guessing I'm gonna need 90 feet or so. Mast Height + leech length + a little extra.

Should work out...ordering from Cajun trading asap.

cheers
jt