35-II hatch Closure alternative?

jthistle

Member II
I've just built two new hatches for out '72, 35-II - pretty much the same design as original. Wooden box with new glass. Has anyone improved the hatch closure system. I'm sure there must be a better option than the original and I don't want to start drilling holes in the acrylic for the older system before I check out any alternatives. Any thoughts?

I'll post some pics of the new hatches when I pull off the paper...

cheers

jt

jthistle

Member II
Wood CHoice

Hey John...

I Used Jatoba...aka brazillian cherry. Really hard...very denseand Heavy. I coated with epoxy and now in the process of applying spar varnish. 5/8 inch bronze acrylic sealed with butyl tape and fastened with stainless wood screw - over bored and countersunk.

took me a long time but I work slow in fits and starts...pics soon. Just as soon as i Figure out a closing mechanism.

cheers

jt

Sven

Seglare
Me too !

I have exactly the same question: Closing mechanism ?

We've stripped off the mis-mixed West Epoxy and put on 4 coats of Smith's penetrating epoxy in its place. We need to sand down a few drips and then apply the Epiphanes.

We'll use 1/2" medium smoke Acrylic fastened with 1 3/4" roundhead SS screws. Tap plastics talked us out of countersinking the screws but the original hatches did have countersunk screws and lasted 32 years without breaking the plastic.

We made ours out of 3/4" solid teak with glued dovetail joints (routed ... sorry Martin but I'm not good enough to trust my hand cut dovetails).

The pictures were taken during the failed West application but the frames look about the same after the stripping and multiple coats of Smith's.

-Sven

Attachments

• DSC_9217.jpg
    DSC_9217.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC_9219.jpg
    DSC_9219.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC_9222.jpg
    DSC_9222.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 91

jkm

Member III
Sven

Last summer I refinished my fore hatch and when it was done I swore this year, when I tackle the main hatch, I'll just build a new one. I was planning on getting my plastic at McMaster-Carr.

John

PS your joints look awesome!

amaxopulos

Member I
32-2 campanion hatch

My wooden hatch is in great conditon except the seal between the wood pieces have seperated from the wood over time and have created a few hair line leaks. I cleaned and chiseled all the old seals away. I went to the local west marine and asked what I could put in there I got several answers like regular paint calk or life calk and one gentleman that said he worked on wood for a living recommended silicone from Lowes. Well I went on the experienced advise and did silicone. DO NOT DO THIS what a mess and it pulls right off. So now I have all the silicone out and please I need some help what do I use

chaco

Member III
The Ole Perko Hatch Fastener

Used the Stock Perko #0770 Hatch Fastener (www.perko.com) in the Stock
location with a 2"x 1/8" SS Angle Clip attached to the Hatch Frame UNDER the New Lens. That way I avoided the holes thru the Acrylic.
Will send pics.

Think Hard Before You Drill A Hole In That Hatch Lens :egrin: :egrin:

jthistle

Member II
Whew...

Thanks Dan... Just had the drill in my hand and decided to check the computer for something unrelated...:p - NOt quite...but close.

Saw the pic of the perko unit...wondering about how it closes properly. Post the pics when you can.

thanks

jason

chaco

Member III
Perko Perko

The Perko Hatch Fastener has a Female Half Round on the Stationary End
and a Male Half Round sliding thingy on the Knob Adjustment End..Brilliant !
The Stationary End is mounted in the Original interior frame positions.
I really burned up some Brain Cells on this One and came Full Circle back to the original design :cool:

Keep that Water off your Nose when you are Asleep :egrin: :egrin:

jthistle

Member II
Gotta have a pic

Alrighty...I'm off to the store to get one of these. Post a pic when you can. I can be a bit slow with this male/female stuff.:p Mabey I'll ask d'wife...she can help me with it.

cheers
jt

CaptDan

Member III
Woops!

Used the Stock Perko #0770 Hatch Fastener (www.perko.com) in the Stock
location with a 2"x 1/8" SS Angle Clip attached to the Hatch Frame UNDER the New Lens.

Tangentially related story:

Four years ago we had our boat trucked up to Seattle from SF. I tried to be thorough in the pre-haul preparations, but I missed an important detail.

As I inspected the boat after she was delivered to the Seattle yard, I noticed the fore hatch missing. Apparently, I'd forgotten to SECURELY dog the hatch by tightening that fastener; it popped open and ripped off, going airborne during the trip.

I built a new hatch to virtually the same spec as the original, using teak, routed corners fastened and glued. Tap plastics provided the translucent plexi lens; nothing at all fancy.

Moral of story: a well secured latch can save a hatch. And maybe somebody's windshield as well.:cool:

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

chaco

Member III
Hatch Latch

Here are the pics of the E35II new SS Hatches and Latches

Attachments

• Cabin Hatch1.JPG
    Cabin Hatch1.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Cabin Hatch2.JPG
    Cabin Hatch2.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 63
  • V Birth Hatch.JPG
    V Birth Hatch.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 74

jthistle

Member II
Latches....

...ahhhh...That's perfect. Great job. I'm not so good with the original ideas. Thanks for sharing.

cheers
jt