35-3 Transmission won't go into reverse (Part 2)

ChrisInMaine

Member II
I posted this thread in the fall (https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/35-3-transmission-wont-go-into-reverse.21067/#post-169355) and thanks to all who responded. That one's a little stale so I thought I'd start again.

After some more investigation I've determined that the reason my transmission won't go into reverse is that the cable seems to have grown a few inches. This determination was made by removing the pin that connects the cable to the shift lever. Once removed the shift level could manually be rotated to the aft position (reverse) which had not been possible with the cable connected.

So now my question is, how could this happen and how do I fix it? The cable is so far out of whack that it's likely not a case of simple stretch - I'm thinking a bracket must have let go somewhere. Before I go after it, has anyone else experienced this behavior?

Many thanks.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yes, check the brackets. There's one near the transmission, and the other end is inside the pedestal. The brackets hold the jacket of the cable, so the wire inside can move. Both have to be secure.

It's very likely the brackets, although the cables do need to be replaced periodically, 10 years or so maybe, because they get stiff. They can't be lubricated or salvaged, and replacements are cheap. I suppose the wire might have broken inside the jacket, but we don't hear much of that.

Taking the pedestal apart can be a head scratcher, with frozen bolts. But if the shifter fails to move the wire inside the cable jacket, and the bracket at the transmission end looks secure, that's next. Many of us have done it. Maybe most of us.

ChrisInMaine

Member II
Yes, check the brackets. There's one near the transmission, and the other end is inside the pedestal. The brackets hold the jacket of the cable, so the wire inside can move. Both have to be secure.

It's very likely the brackets, although the cables do need to be replaced periodically, 10 years or so maybe, because they get stiff. They can't be lubricated or salvaged, and replacements are cheap. I suppose the wire might have broken inside the jacket, but we don't hear much of that.

Taking the pedestal apart can be a head scratcher, with frozen bolts. But if the shifter cable fails to move the wire inside the cable jacket, and the bracket at the transmission end looks secure, that's next. Many of us have done it. Maybe most of us.

Thanks for this, Christian. The cable slides just fine but it's probably the original from 35 years ago - and that binnacle needs a paint job - so maybe I should just do it right. Beats pulling the tranny so I guess I'm ahead.