35-2 Throttle Handle

enkramer

I'm a new owner of an E35-2 in Houston area. Boat appears to have original gear shifter and throttle handles on pedestal. Discovered today, when it went flying across the cockpit, that throttle handle had sheared off at some point in past and is only stuck into hole unsecured (explaining why it is so short). The attached pic will give you some idea of the setup.

I'm being lazy but wondered if anyone else had found after-market replacements for these handles. Thanks.

5996084_20161107133216216_1_XLARGE.jpg

Tomwine

Member II
Throttle handle

I'm a new owner of an E35-2 in Houston area. Boat appears to have original gear shifter and throttle handles on pedestal. Discovered today, when it went flying across the cockpit, that throttle handle had sheared off at some point in past and is only stuck into hole unsecured (explaining why it is so short). The attached pic will give you some idea of the setup.

I'm being lazy but wondered if anyone else had found after-market replacements for these handles. Thanks.

5996084_20161107133216216_1_XLARGE.jpg
Mine are held on with some type of springed system that holds the arm in a groove in the shaft. Does the shifter side still spin. Also very nice bright work on teak I use Oil but yours sure look good.
Tom

enkramer

Both sides still spin, but it looks like the throttle handle just sheared off at some point, so it's just sticking in the slot with nothing holding it in there. I'm hoping there is an after-market handle of some sort with the same diameter.

Regarding the brightwork, I'm definitely an oil guy too, but it came with the varnish and is now my obligation to keep it up in this Gulf Coast climate.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If it's a Yacht Specialties/Merriman pedestal, you can search around for a used replacement. You can look at the Edson site and see if any of their parts might fit.

If it were me, I'd take the throttle assembly to a machine shop and have them weld a new rod to the base, maybe with a small "t" at the hand end.

You'd have to take the compass off and disassemble the pedestal top to remove the throttle arm, which is held by a set screw.

For what it's worth, my YS throttle is 2/3rd the length of the shift lever. Don't need the leverage, and maybe it's good to have them different for "feel".

Also, it looks like your shift lever is sticking through the base? Probably an optical illusion. That would be nonstandard and need welding too.

Emerald

I think of the length difference almost like a safety feature. Once you're used to it, you know by touch what you've got in your hand. Path of least resistance is find a used one. I'd wager you've got used gear shops in your area. If you strike out, Bacon Sails in Annapolis, MD usually has YS pieces http://baconsails.com/