35-2 Hatch replacement: Anyone with Photo's or suggestions?

robjpowell

Member II
We need to either build new wooden hatches for our 1976 35-2 or alternatively, replace them with a more current and appropriate design. Does anyone have any suggestions, and ideally photo's, from their own repair job? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
Rob

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
Build new

Hi Rob,

I've been going back and forth with build vs. buy myself, and finally decided to build. The Lewmar hatches look great and are water tight, but would have required a bit of work to make them fit correctly. And they're pretty expensive.

I've decided to make my hatches like post #31 of this thread:
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?4959-WANTED-E29-Hatch/page3

I've actually made this previously when I had my E27 a few years back, and now my E35-II will get them. I currently have the frame built and assembled for the front hatch...just needs a little sanding and varnishing before I insert the lens. I have the main salon hatch started.

Teak isn't cheap, but it's far less expensive than the Lewmar hatches and I enjoy working with it.

We need to either build new wooden hatches for our 1976 35-2 or alternatively, replace them with a more current and appropriate design. Does anyone have any suggestions, and ideally photo's, from their own repair job? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
Rob

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
Front hatch

Here is my current progress on the smaller front hatch. The top frame is secured to the lower frame using half-lap joints and #10 screws. I used thickened epoxy to fill gaps. I'm using epoxied teak plugs to hide the screw holes.

photo_new_hatch.jpg

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Does anyone have any suggestions, and ideally photo's, from their own repair job? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Here's my replacement forward hatch:
DSCN4296.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN4302.jpg
    DSCN4302.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCN4304.jpg
    DSCN4304.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

KWay

Member II
Hatch Replacement E39 with Lewmar Ocean series

Both wood hatch have been replaced doing the same process.
Step1: inter wood frame removed
Step2: Fiberglass top edge cut off.
Step3: Inter wood frame trimmed and re-size.
Step4: Form made from tape / Glass cloth 6x Installed (West Epoxy)
Step5: Fairing Compound (West Epoxy)
Step6: Paint
Step7: Install Hatch
Please Note: This is just a overview of the process............

Boat05052010 003.jpgBoat05052010 020.jpgBoat05052010 033.jpgBoat05052010 038.jpgBoat05052010 053.jpg