35-2 Engine placement

kaikoura

New to website...What year did they move the engine from midship position as per the brochure to under the companionway steps?
Thanks

kaikoura

No.. I just visited there some time ago...interesting..the brochure I found on this website shows the mid cabin engine just like my old Tartan 30..
Are you satisfied with accessibility..in your config?

robjpowell

Member II
I had a brief moment of hope there. I'm from Christchurch. Accessability has not been too problematic. In fact with the A4 being realitivley small it is pretty good. I still have room to work and that is after adding an external fuel filter, an oil filter, fresh water cooling loop, oil cooler. CheersRob

kaikoura

I was in Christchurch on my way to and from Antarctica for the USAP program..
My email write me kaikouravoyager@yahoo.com
I did a 3 week tour of NZ after my 5 month work contract..Im an electrician..I want to work in NZ can you help..Thanks
Tom Curran,,I live in Middlebury Vermont..lets visit sometime!

Last edited:

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
In a word...

YES! While very comfortable inside, It was very hard to beat in its day and still makes most boats sweat a bit.

Dave Neptune

Member II
Tha dinett

In the MK-II 35's set up with the dinett you could have the engine mounted from the factory in either position. If you went diesel you lost a bit of the bunk cushion. Those with the setee (bunk on each side and a folding table~rare) and not the dinett were all mounted aft. I have seen many mounted both ways and believe it was an option. The mid engine with the A-4 did not need to have any extra clearance due to the engine not being as "tall". The favored mounting for racing was mid ship to keep the weight out of the ends.
Mine is a 1970 with the mid-engine ORIGINAL A-4 still ticking away nicely:rolleyes:.

Dave Neptune:cool: