34t ?

bayhoss

Member III
I was looking at an Ericson 34 and noticed that it had a somewhat unconvential stern. It was listed as a 34t. Anyone know the particulars of this boat? Thanks in advance for any help.

Best,
Frank

Mort Fligelman

Member III
34T Information

Frank:

There is a PDF of the full color brochure of the 34T in the documents downloads.

A good friend of mine owned one back in the mid 80's, and I crewed for him on a few occassions......great boat.....very fast, stable and comfortable.....

Hope this is what you are looking for....

Regards

Seth

Sustaining Partner
34 & 34T from the 70's

As Loren sez, this boat has no relation to the newer 34's. It was designed strictly to the IOR rule for a target rating of 24.5 IOR (which was known as 3/4 Ton back then). The shape of the boat, including the stern, was intended to acheive the lowest (slowest) rating with the least loss of speed, and this type of stern treatment was common amng IOR designs of that era.

The shape is sexy looking, but pretty bad in terms of a design feature. The shape of the aft sections resulted in a sharp narrowing of the hull around the rudder area (the reason being that IOR measured the WL beam at this part of the boat, and the wider the beam, the more "powerful" the stern section and the faster the boat (in any breeze). This narrow shape made the boat "appear" slower to the formula (and in fact it WAS slower in breeze). The narrow shape did yield some advantage in very light air, but it was greatly offset in breezy reaching where you want a wider stern and more form stability aft. Further, the narrowing of the hull at this point did not produce a smooth exit for the water as it leaves the hull, and created quite a nasty wake (meaning the boats leave a trail of disturbed water when sailing in max waterline, or breezy conditions). The famous and scary "rock and roll" performnce of IOR boats of the area was largely due to these stern shapes. Interestingly, these shapes did yield the best performance FOR THE RATING. This meant that faster boats, while getting to the finish line first, could not win on handicap-they were not enough faster to overcome the high handicap they were given as a result of the fast hull shape-so the slow boats won the races!

This was a major factor in the downfall of IOR as the preferred handicap rule- it did not produce fast, fun boats....
bla, bla, bla...

Happy holidays!

S

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
To add slightly to Seth's excellent commentary, one somewhat-redeeming feature of the the more doctrinaire IOR hull form was a wide midship area which translated into decent room for cruising amenities. I recall being quite impressed with the Cal 31 that a friend bought with its pretty wood interior, lots of room, and a dedicated wine rack/cabinet. :cool:

Hard to believe nowadays with what's left of the sailboat market being dominated by high-sided condo's-with-spars...
that only 35 years ago an off shore racing measurement rule either dictated or strongly influenced all the mom-n-pop cruising boats.... and that all were expected to have at least some utility as a performance boat.

Loren

ps: apropos of little in particular, I have often thought that the IOR was an unfortunate detour between the CCA and the MORC...

Last edited:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
More than that...

Thanks Loren,

Just to clear things up-IOR boats are NOT bad boats by any stretch. Compared to traditional heavy cruisers they are very quick, and when well built are very very seaworthy. As I have said many times, there are hundreds of them cruising around the world right now, making fast and safe passages. Few boats go to windward as well as good IOR boat, and as Loren said, they have great interior volume. If I were looking for a world cruiser on a budget, I would absolutely be looking at a good, well built IOR boat. I consider the 36 RH to be a very capable boat and an excellent cruiser.. it is smaller than I would like for world cruising, but look at Jessica Watson's round the world trip on a very old early IOR type yacht (S&S 34-winner of Sydney-Hobart and Fastnet)! Check out this photo of her approaching Sydney, Australia at the end of her voyage..Blowing about 50 here, she is 17 years old, alone, safe and happy after going around the world!

The comments in my email are strictly from the viewpoint of discussion the impact the IOR had on hull shape and on performance when compared to boats built to other rules or no rules.

Just sayin';)....

Attachments

• jwstorm-sml.jpg
    jwstorm-sml.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Evidence

Scene of the crime..
This sexy pic of a E 34 racing shows a pretty big quarter wave, which is generated by the pinched stern sections just forward of the rudder. This is what many IOR boats drag aroud the race course. Many older IOR boats which are still raced (now under PHRF since IOR is dead) have gone and filled in these stern sections to provide a much fairer exit in the back of the boat. Makes for a faster boat with better handling characteristics..

Enjoy,

Attachments

• E 34.jpg
    E 34.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 148