Guest viewing is limited

34 and/or 35-3 ?s

Dave Wilkins

The late eighties version of the Ericson 34 and the 35-3 share some common measurements, factory and designer. Either would suit this Ericson wannabe.
I have questions regarding either design.

Could an anchor windlass be installed on the fordeck?

Can one get at/remove/inspect the fuel tanks?

Does the headliner remove cleanly for accessing the genoa track area and the chainplate area at the deck for inspection or repairs?

Thank you all for any insights!

Dave Wilkins

ccorcoran

Member II
Misc E34/35 Questions

Hi Dave,

I have a 1987 E34 so my answers to your questions will based on that model. My learned fellow Ericson owners have already answered your windlass question; simply use the "search" option on the above toolbar and type in "windlass" - the first post even has photos of an E34 windlass installation in the anchor locker. The fuel tank is directly under the after quarter berth/cabin and is easily accesible and removable. As for genoa track and chainplate access, if memory serves, the headliner is zippered in those areas just below the deck and can be easily acessed; bear in mind, however, these zippers are getting on in years and may be dificult. BTW, I heartliy recommend a late 80s 34/35 Ericson...they are excellent boats; the real difference in the two boats can be found in the interior layout with the 34 providing a "newer" style with a forward v-berth cabin and an aft cabin. The 35 is more traditional in its layout with a v-berth cabin forwartd and a quarter berth aft.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The interiors have other differences...
The 35-3 has a forward head with a separate stall shower, like the older E-38. You can see the E-35-III shower in the Owners' Projects forum on this site, in the awesome upgrade that Sean documented in his article. Great photos.
The E-34 has the head and shower combined, aft, as I remember. This does have the advantage of giving you a place to put your wet rain gear and boots without having track the water further into the interior. We like this feature in our "tri cabin" Olson 34. We also have a large hanging locker in the aft head for boots and foulies.

Loren

Last edited:

ccorcoran

Member II
More on 34/35s

As usual, Loren adds additional clarity! The 35 does have a HUGE head forward with a stall shower. The galley is starboard/aft and the nav station/quarter berth is to port. There is also a traditional u-shaped dinette amidship/starboard. As for the 34, the head is starboard/aft with the galley to port in front of the after cabin. The dinette is not u-shaped, it's angled with to match the hull taper to the bow and the table had a drop leaf that allows the settee on the port side to become part of the dinette. You'll find great photos/drawings/brochures of each under "specs and documents" on this website.