32-3 vs 30+

Arrina

Are there any significant differences between the 32-3 and the 30+ in terms of sailing or quality of construction? I looked at the various design ratios of the two models and they were very similar values since the LWL and the beam on both boats is similar. I guess the 32-3 has more overhang. I am leaning toward the fractional rig, thinking it would be easier to handle the sails and reef, but with rolling furling, maybe it doesn’t make a difference.

So, is there any reason to choose a keel-stepped, masthead rig 32-3 over a deck-stepped, fractional rig 30+, assuming similar condition of the boats? The intended use is mainly day sailing with my daughter, occasional trips to Catalina or up the coast and maybe an occasional race. Opinions and advice, please!

(edit - Sorry, meant for this to go under Design & Function)

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
There may not be too many folks here who have sailed both models, but I know that owners of either one are very happy with their choices.
I have personally sailed on the 33RH and the 32-3.
All of these have the same basic construction, and that's a good thing.
Hopefully someone can weigh in on the comparison you seek.
Loren

ps: moved to the forum requested

Macgyro

Amazingly Still Afloat
Blogs Author
Keel vs deck stepped

Both ways of stepping the mast have their advantages, and disadvantages. My 1970 E32-2 has a mahogany (I think) post that supports the mast. There is a aftermarket fix that provides better support for it, so I have to assume that the original post didn't provide enough support for most people. Mine doesn't seem to have any compression even without the fix, but I don't think the boat has ever been raced.

Due to a number of reasons, I've had 4" of water above the floor touching this post at least twice, and there is some black rot at the bottom now. I would be much more comfortable with the mast coming all the way to the keel, but considering all the other deck leaks I'm fighting, it would probably just be one more place to let water in. (The post is dry now, so I think it will be fine) The photos of the 32-3's on the site seem to have many more supports than my 1970 model, so they probably got all the support figured out by then.

Good Luck!

-Dean

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Well, the 32-3 is a bigger boat. More important, I think, is the year of each model, and what shape they're in. The TFG stiffening design was implemented in the mid-80s, and adds a lot in my opinion.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
We have a1984 E30+ and love it. She sails well in light air, just takes off, and yet is also able to handle winds and waves. I single hand our boat alot and find her easy to manage, but we have also day sailed with seven people aboard -- cozy but manageable.
The only criticism is that storage space is a bit
limited, but it's no real problem. Construction is solid with no significant weaknesses. We have owned our boat for nine years and will keep her for many years yet.
Frank

kapnkd

kapnkd
Both ways of stepping the mast have their advantages, and disadvantages. My 1970 E32-2 has a mahogany (I think) post that supports the mast. There is a aftermarket fix that provides better support for it, so I have to assume that the original post didn't provide enough support for most people. Mine doesn't seem to have any compression even without the fix, but I don't think the boat has ever been raced.

Due to a number of reasons, I've had 4" of water above the floor touching this post at least twice, and there is some black rot at the bottom now. I would be much more comfortable with the mast coming all the way to the keel, but considering all the other deck leaks I'm fighting, it would probably just be one more place to let water in. (The post is dry now, so I think it will be fine) The photos of the 32-3's on the site seem to have many more supports than my 1970 model, so they probably got all the support figured out by then.

Good Luck!

-Dean

I have had a '73 E-32 MkII since new. First trip to the Bahamas the main brace cracked on the inside liner due to a factory gap between the compression post and floor/bildge. The dealer fixed it under warranty but the cracks persisted over the years in spite of additional reinforcements to the post and cabin top.

We've now replaced blkhds, ground out crack in glass headliner, filled it in properly, added two inch diameter aluminum post stepped to keel which now has aluminum channel to displace loads as well.

I will also post photos later when I can get my hands on them.

kapnkd

kapnkd
20140906_163058.jpg20140906_163021.jpg

Good Luck!

-Dean

I have had a '73 E-32 MkII since new. First trip to the Bahamas the main brace cracked on the inside liner due to a factory gap between the compression post and floor/bildge. The dealer fixed it under warranty but the cracks persisted over the years in spite of additional reinforcements to the post and cabin top.

We've now replaced blkhds, ground out crack in glass headliner, filled it in properly, added two inch diameter aluminum post stepped to keel which now has aluminum channel to displace loads as well.

I will also post photos later when I can get my hands on them.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Wow, that's a beautiful, significant repair! Haven't seen that done to that extent before.

kapnkd

kapnkd
Details of E32-II compression post replacement/enhancements

Thanks! ...My son, who is now an engineer at Ford and sailing since he could walk, took it to the "NTH" degree for sure. (He's been working on and fixing/restoring boats since a teen.)

He ground out the headliner crack about 3/4" on each side and filled it with glass strands and pieces of mat with the resins. Additionally, there is now a 1/8" SS plate screwed in place across the headliner/mainbrace area as well.

The keel area was built up under the 1/4" aluminum channel with filler and resin to secure it and help displace the overall loads. The post is in a round base and mounted to a plate that has screws that were cranked down to secure the fit to the cabin top. What doesn't show in the photo is we added more resin under that base. (I seriously doubt we will have a problem with the headliner issue ever again.

We DID have to give up some room in passage to the forward area, but it is worth it since the loads are better centered under the mast. Cosmetically (hopefully) it will look like a 'factory job' when finished - more pictures will follow as it warms up and we can get back on board to finish it all up.

woolamaloo

Member III
I love this question because I love my 30+. However, the lack of storage space is a consistent worry for me. I often think about getting a bigger boat. (big surprise) I watch for larger Ericsons when they come up for sale in the area and wonder if they'd be a better fit for some long-term cruising. I've watched Christian's video of his trip to Hawaii more times than I'd like to admit and I often pause the inside shots to get a sense of the differences between my 30+ and his 32-3. Both boats were built in 85 and quite possibly were in the factory at the same time. Even our upholstery looks the same.

I know the question is more focusing on the rig but from my thorough (paused video) examinations of Christian's 32-3 and my 30+ the biggest differences I see are that his starboard galley is much more accessible than my tiny port galley squeezed by the companionway ladder. Likewise, he has more room when at his port nav station/quarterberth than my starboard set up. It looks like most of the two feet seems to be added right to the back end of the cabin and it makes those activities much easier. I'd really like to have those extra two feet but not enough to start over making someone else's boat mine.

Now, I've just got to talk myself out of a 38.

Jim
Woolamaloo
1985 30+ Hull #685

kapnkd

kapnkd
I love this question because I love my 30+. However, the lack of storage space is a consistent worry for me. I often think about getting a bigger boat. (big surprise) I watch for larger Ericsons when they come up for sale in the area and wonder if they'd be a better fit for some long-term cruising. I've watched Christian's video of his trip to Hawaii more times than I'd like to admit and I often pause the inside shots to get a sense of the differences between my 30+ and his 32-3. Both boats were built in 85 and quite possibly were in the factory at the same time. Even our upholstery looks the same.

I know the question is more focusing on the rig but from my thorough (paused video) examinations of Christian's 32-3 and my 30+ the biggest differences I see are that his starboard galley is much more accessible than my tiny port galley squeezed by the companionway ladder. Likewise, he has more room when at his port nav station/quarterberth than my starboard set up. It looks like most of the two feet seems to be added right to the back end of the cabin and it makes those activities much easier. I'd really like to have those extra two feet but not enough to start over making someone else's boat mine.

Now, I've just got to talk myself out of a 38.

Jim
Woolamaloo
1985 30+ Hull #685

Got to agree, the 38's are my favorite as well!! There are two of them at our club and their owners love them.
I've often thought about trading up but over the years have become too attached to our old '73. (Given I've had her since new - she IS family for sure!)

...But DO take a serious look at the newer 35's as an alternative. They have a LOT of room as well. I think of them as a mini-38.

Arrina

Wow! Great responses, everyone. I should have mentioned that I am looking into 80's era boats. If the worst knock against the 30+ is lack of storage space, then I don’t see that as too much of a problem since I’m a travel-light kind of person and don’t foresee any long term trips in the near future anyway. Mainly, I’m looking for something easy to take out for a day sail and just big enough that we can go to Catalina now and then. My friend has a 36’ boat and still has sails and what-not filling up the cabins. Perhaps, the bigger the space, the more you find things to fill it up? That has been my experience with houses and purses, anyway.

Frank, I came across some of your earlier posts when you were still shopping. It’s good to know that you are still pleased with your 30+ after all this time.

Jim, yes it looks like the galley and nav station is where the extra space went. Also, maybe slightly more room in the head. Galley layout is definitely nicer on the 32-3.

Dean & Kapnkd, thanks for the comments & pics on the deck stepped mast support. It’s good to know fixes can be accomplished, if need be. Also, an area to examine closely on survey.

It looks like either model would be fine for my needs. Thanks for the input, everyone. :)

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Both are great boats but are completely different in design era. The rigs are also quite different. Both are great but making a comparison of them is sort of an apples to oranges question. If you have any specific questions not addressed by previous comments feel free to flame away!

Cheers

S

Seth

Sustaining Partner
So many 32's

Seth why did Ericson make so many 32 models? They were like KTM!

This is a very popular size range..Marketing departments over the years seem to feel that this size is not too big and not too small- even if this is more psychological than factually true. The "32" models changed as yacht design evolved, better materials became available, and consumer preferences in terms of cabin layout, deck layout and performance changed. Manufacturers of all types of products adapt to market forces if they are to remain viable. In the end, Ericson did not remain viable, but I believe some of that was due to management style and investors' demand for financial results not matching the market realities.

These musings about Ericson's fate are just my impression, and should not be taken as fact.

Hope this helps.

BTW,what is KTM??

S

Last edited:

mkollerjr

Member III
Blogs Author
During my boat quest, looking at dozens of boats, viewing an E32 totally sold me on the quality and great design of Ericsons. We were looking for something larger for live aboard, so found an E38. We looked at an E30+, and it too seemed like a great boat, but of an earlier generation design, and a bit smaller than what we were looking for.

Mark

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
I'm glad our Ericson is 32 feet, 200 inches:rolleyes:

KTM is an Austrian manufacturer of the best off road and motocross racing motorcycles in the world. In recent history they have marketed a 50, 80, 125, 250, 300, 400, 450, 525, 530,600 and 690.

Kinda sounds like the Ericson 32's..

Last edited:

RHenegar

Member I
30+ v 32-3

I have and 87 32-3, my friend has a 84 or 85 30+. We sailed the boat together on several occasions. My observation is that my friends 30 seems to point higher than my 32. Also seem to be slightly faster for a given set of conditions. My 32 had a 4.4 ft draft, his 30 is over 5 ft draft. That may account for the pointing. His boat seem easier to balance. Really there are too many variables to really make a really good comparison.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Comparing 32-3 with 30+

I have and 87 32-3, my friend has a 84 or 85 30+. We sailed the boat together on several occasions. My observation is that my friends 30 seems to point higher than my 32. Also seem to be slightly faster for a given set of conditions. My 32 had a 4.4 ft draft, his 30 is over 5 ft draft. That may account for the pointing. His boat seem easier to balance. Really there are too many variables to really make a really good comparison.

You are correct in that there are too many variables here to make a meaningful comparison.There are some major things which could skew the results dramatically:

Condition of bottom, type and position of props, selection of sails for conditions, condition of sails, trim of sails, genoa car lead position, rig tune, weight of misc gear on board and where it is located on board, and especially upwind, steering ability and style. Any single one of these items can make one boat perform better than the other in a noticeable way. You would really need to equalize all of these variables first to make a meaningful comparison...

Cheers

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I wouldn't be surprised to be skunked by a well sailed 30+ in normal conditions, just because the boat is 10 percent lighter than the 32-3.

But as for race pointing, shoal draft has no chance again a full keel.