[32-3] Just braggin' up my dodger [and jackline solutions]

nquigley

Sustaining Member
The general thinking is flat tape is the best jackline, WM sells it. Wire or rope rolls under foot.

One jackline would work if you could really put it on centerline. But that's hard to do with a sliding hatch in the way.
Also, a lot of folks introduce a few twists in flat jacklines so they are easier to pick up - so they don't 'stick' down to the deck when wet.

Gaviate

Member III
Also, a lot of folks introduce a few twists in flat jacklines so they are easier to pick up - so they don't 'stick' down to the deck when wet.
Ahhh, an interesting twist to the story of Jack's line!!
So the next question then is, do you stow your line when not in use/needed, or is it a permanent fixture of the rigging on deck?
As Christian points out, the companionway hatch, and also hatch forward of the mast, makes off center placement the only sensible choice, which then leads me back to the one port, one starboard arrangement.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
No real need for this post other than I'm excited about the new Iverson dodger that just got installed today on Delightful. Cost a few boat bucks, but for all the off-season cruising we do, I think it'll pay for itself in happiness points.

AND I can see through it, which is a first.

View attachment 36880
View attachment 36881View attachment 36882
Very nice! I just had my dodger replaced (by a canvas vendor at our marina) over the existing frame because the old was just coming apart at the seams. Mine isn't as grand as yours but a big improvement to the old one. As for jack lines. On my E32-3, starboard side, I run the jack line (strap actually) from the forward cleat, around the inside of the guard that covers the forward dorade vent (but not around the cowling), back to the traveler and inside (towards the boat center) of the bracket that holds it off the deck, then under the dodger and to the starboard cleat next to the winch. Arranging it this way keeps it more centered on the boat. On the port side, much the same as the starboard, forward cleat, around the inside of the guard that covers the forward dorade vent, back to the traveler and inside of the bracket that holds it off the deck, under the dodger and around the winch that's behind the rope clutches. If I need that winch to pull in one of the reefing lines it's not a big deal to remove it and then put it back on when I'm done. Here's what my dodger looks like now. Waiting for some new side grips, like yours to be installed.

Attachments

• dodger.jpg
    dodger.jpg
    581.1 KB · Views: 29

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Very nice! I just had my dodger replaced (by a canvas vendor at our marina) over the existing frame because the old was just coming apart at the seams. Mine isn't as grand as yours but a big improvement to the old one. As for jack lines. On my E32-3, starboard side, I run the jack line (strap actually) from the forward cleat, around the inside of the guard that covers the forward dorade vent (but not around the cowling), back to the traveler and inside (towards the boat center) of the bracket that holds it off the deck, then under the dodger and to the starboard cleat next to the winch. Arranging it this way keeps it more centered on the boat. On the port side, much the same as the starboard, forward cleat, around the inside of the guard that covers the forward dorade vent, back to the traveler and inside of the bracket that holds it off the deck, under the dodger and around the winch that's behind the rope clutches. If I need that winch to pull in one of the reefing lines it's not a big deal to remove it and then put it back on when I'm done. Here's what my dodger looks like now. Waiting for some new side grips, like yours to be installed.
Bob..looks like your topping lift needs lifting...wearing a spot in your new dodger.....mine did the same before my son spotted it...great excuse to get back to the boat!

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Bob..looks like your topping lift needs lifting...wearing a spot in your new dodger.....mine did the same before my son spotted it...great excuse to get back to the boat!
Yes, It did and I have lifted it but not before a mark was left. Lesson learned.