32-3 Cabin top winch/stopper pads

Mindscape

Member III
I'm thinking about replacing the pads under the cabin top winches and line stoppers on my 32-3. In my on going effort to reduce the maintenance on any exterior wooden trim, these 5 pads look like easy targets that won't do great harm to the overall look. Has anyone replaced these with something other than wood?? I'm not sure what material I would use. I've considered metals, SS, brass, alum. etc. Maybe some kind of composite like corian (used in countertops). Thanks in advance for any feedback.

escapade

Inactive Member
winch/clutch risers

I'm assuming you are refering to the blocks people add between the winch/clutch base & cabin top. Brass will turn green (oxidize) if not coated w/clear coat. Same with aluminum (will get "fuzzy" white powder unless anodized or painted). Stainless steel will need to be pasiviated (removes ferrous molecules which will rust) and is tough to work with. UHMW plastic (ultra high molecular weight similar to nylon or teflon) is available from industrial suppliers and is easy to work with but pricey. On my E34 I have the winches/clutches mounted directly to the cabin top with no riser. Unless you have something that prevents a fair lead for the halyards & sheet, it should present no problems and remove 5 pieces of teak to refinish. Just use a good sealing/bedding compound (3M 4200, etc.) and large backing washers or plates and you should have no problems. If you would like I can take a picture next time I'm @ the boat & put it on this site.
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade"

Mindscape

Member III
I just bought the boat and assumed that risers/pads were there to create a fair lead. I would remove them if I was sure the leads would be ok. Anyone with a 32-3 have any thoughts/experience in this area?? Does anyone know if the risers/pads are original?

Mindscape

Member III
Geoff - what version of Cetol did yo use? The cetol I've seen hasn't provided a look close to varnish. But your pictures look great. Did you consider anything other than Teak for the pads? My last boat did not require any exterior teak work and I'm hoping to keep the teak work to a minimum on this boat, without adversly effiecting the good looks of the 32-3. Thanks again for your respones, I hope this board continues when the ownership transfer occurs. I can't get over how much info fellow owners like you, Sean, Sven and escapade (and any one else responding) are willing to share.

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
At first I just used the regular Cetol, but now I use only the clear gloss to re-coat. Cetol does have a definite orange cast to it, but it sure beats taking care of varnish. It's nice to actually sail the boat once in a while! An no I didn't consider anything other than teak because I think a boat needs some teak to keep from looking too plastic.

I share your sentiments about the site. Sean did a great job and we will miss him. I am also intrigued why Pacific Seacraft would want to continue a web site for a discontinued line.