32-2 steering cables

Hi everyone,

I have to replace a steering cable as it is too thin and it worked itself too loose - actually it also ate through one of the turning sheaves since it was too thin. The question - does anyone know what the thickness of the cable should be? (the cable going around the quadrant below).

Any info would be appreciated. Has anyone done this on their boats? - also it appears it's the same assembly for 32-2 as for the 35.

Many thanks.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
As no one has answered yet, I'm thinking that on our 1984 E30+ the steering cables are 3/16". I'm sure they aren't thicker than that, so not 1/4 ", but they could be 1/8" though I don't think so. Yup, I'm pretty sure they're 3/16". That size wire will take quite alot of stress, so should be safe even on a larger boat.
Let's see what others say, but if no one replies or has better answers, I would be comfortable with 3/16" steering cables.
It's important to lubricate them and the sheaves fairly regularly with engine oil, and ensure the sheaves are placed so the leads to the quadrant are aligned. Correct tension is also important--tight enough so the wire doesn't come off the sheaves or quadrant, but not so tight as to over stress the system.

Hope that helps a bit!

Frank

Last edited:

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Cable sizing

Visit the Edson site. They will have specs for your boat. I don't think it matters if you have a Yacht Specialties set up instead of Edson.