32-2 Gear Shifting Lever--where to get one?

ChrisS

Member III
Today I took the boat out of the slip for the first time in a while (to pumpout the tank ) and I broke the gear lever. This is a stainless steel rod, 1/2" diameter, about a foot long with a little knob on top. There are two beveled areas, one at the bottom, and the other halfway up.

Any ideas on where to get a replacement? I already tried Minney's.

CaptDan

Member III
Today I took the boat out of the slip for the first time in a while (to pumpout the tank ) and I broke the gear lever. This is a stainless steel rod, 1/2" diameter, about a foot long with a little knob on top. There are two beveled areas, one at the bottom, and the other halfway up.

Any ideas on where to get a replacement? I already tried Minney's.

Finding parts for those old Yacht Specialty helms isn't easy. My suggestion:
Take the pieces, find some suitable, hearty stainless rod stock, bring it to a machinist and have them duplicate the old unit with center notch and threads. Then, either use the old knob, or stick a new one on.

I think you'll be up and running faster than running around trying to find something isn't already bent and ready to give up the ghost too.:cool:

YMMV.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

ChrisS

Member III
Capt Dan--

I'm e-mailing and calling consignment stores and am coming up empty handed, so your point is well taken.

Didn't you used to live in Sausalito? Would you happen to know a good local machinist?

SingPilot

Minney's has a back room with all the controls in them. I found a complete set there TWICE, one for my next door neighbor. Both times, the 'person' on the phone told me (after a long wait on hold) that nothing like that.

Find someome local to them to go in, it's a small room back past the pumps and propellors.:egrin:

CaptDan

Member III
Capt Dan--

I'm e-mailing and calling consignment stores and am coming up empty handed, so your point is well taken.

Didn't you used to live in Sausalito? Would you happen to know a good local machinist?

Yes, we lived in Sausalito for over ten years; loved it there. I used to get my machining/welding done at Werner's Welding on LibertyShip Way. He could get the job done for you, and may even have the right rod stock available too. He isn't the cheapest in Marin County, but he does a lot of boat work and - if he isn't busy - is a fairly fast turn around. (Sorry don't have number available.)

It's also possible Minney's might have some old YS gear in stock. Since their inventory is so large, it's often difficult to locate a specific item by phone, as SingPilot says. Here's the number. 949-548-4192

Good luck; let us know what happens.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Last edited: