30+ ice box drain

stvsem

ok, my wife has asked me why our icebox doesn't drain. my guess is, the bottom of the icebox is below the water line. our icebox simply drains to a through hull fitting. i open the fitting while on a port tack and it drains. of course on starboard it fills. my plan is to plumb the drain to the sink foot pump and pump the ice box water to the sink. my wife usually has to take the time using a sponge to remove the 1/2 inch of water that remains after draining. any other suggestions? any one else with a similar icebox issue? thanks, steve and sue semenick:confused:

KanH

Member II
I personally do not like having any seacock open unless there is a real need and then only for as little time as possible. I would seal off the through hull line and divert the drain to the bilge. That way you avoid what sounds like backwash and you could use a bilge pump to remove the ice melt. You could even put a ball valve in the drain tube to control when you want to drain the icebox

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
We have the same problem with the ice box not draining well on our E30+. We simply wait til we're on a port tack with the boat heeled a bit at which time it will drain well. We usually only have about an inch or less of water in it from melting ice, so it's no big deal. I'm not sure it's worth the trouble to re-plumb it, depending on how much you use the ice box.

Frank

psanburn

Member II
Our 30+ icebox is plumbed in to the bilge pump. When we want to pump out the icebox, we open the valve in the icebox drain line and close a valve in a bilge line that is under the head sink. To get the pump to work on the bilge we close the icebox valve and open the valve under the herad sink. It seems peculiar, but works.
Peter S
Bayview, ID

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Get one of these puppies. I have the small MD13 model and it fits right between the companionway steps and the front of the stove. The MD13 has a cooling or heating function; the MD14 is a touch larger but I don't think it has the heating option. Not a lot of room, but enough for about a dozen beers or sodas. I use the built-in cooler to store unrefrigerated beer, wine, sodas, etc.

Attachments

• Engel_md13.jpg
    Engel_md13.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 151