30+ halyard replacement

csoule13

Member III
One of the many, many offseason projects for the boat is to start replacing the lines on the boat. While generally functional, they all have the same monochromatic weathered gray look to them. It's damn near impossible to tell one line from another, especially those that run through the boom. The how of this seems pretty simple, and youtube has been invaluable in studying up on the technique.

My question is the what - it would be great to be rid of the halyards that have the metal cabling in them. I haven't a clue what type of line, what length or what thickness. Suggestions, or should we just buy Christian's boat?:egrin:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Here's a prior thread, and there are a lot of others. Our T-900 halyards are still fine after a decade. For your boat I would not go any larger than the 5/16 that we use on our 34 foot boat.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?1967-from-cable-to-rope&referrerid=28

And: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...m-wire-rope-halyard-to-all-rope&referrerid=28

If you do a google search and put ericsonyachts.org wire to rope replacement into the search box you will find a LOT of prior threads.

Regards,
Loren

ps: I would not advise using StaSet X, even though some chandlers push it.
pps: or buy Christian's boat!

Last edited:

supersailor

Contributing Partner
All line halyards

The halyards on my 34 had been replaced with all rope. The previous owner seemed to be rather schizophrenic. He used 5/16" on the jib halyard and 5/8 on the main halyard. He also used 5/8 on the main sheet. I dropped the main sheet down to 1/2 soft braid and the friction on the sheet disappeared. The main halyard still has a great deal of friction through the blocks and stopper. I am going to replace it this winter. The trouble is that the 8mm jib halyard slips in the stopper when tensioned. I may need to go with 3/8 or splice a 3/8 or 1/2 tail onto the 8mm. The current 5/8 halyard totally defeats my strongtrack.

My caution here is to make sure your stoppers will hold on the 8mm line before purchasing the line.

Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
It's also important to measure carefully to ensure you have the correct length for your boat. Too much line just gets in the way and adds to the cost; too little line won't work the way it should. Replacing lines is also a good time to consider if they should be re-routed to be more convenient, including adding organizers and running some or all of them back to the cockpit--not always the right solution, but in some cases it is.

Frank.

KanH

Member II
Haylard

I should have added that the reason I went with the 8 mm was that it was the largest size the mast sheaves could handle. Anything larger might have caused fraying of the line at best and jamming at worst. Great advice from the yard rigger. I have not experienced any slippage with this size line but if I had, it would have been far easier and less expensive to swap out the clutches or add a cleat than to replace the mast sheaves. Probably safer this way too.

And yes, measure once and measure again. This stuff is not cheep but have never had any stretching in the line.

Kevin