30+ Cutlass Bearing Replacement

GrumpyPawPaw

Member I
My yard said to replace my cutlass bearing they would have to remove the shaft and rudder which would be very expensive. Has anyone used the StrutPro tool successfully that doesn't require the shaft and rudder to be removed? Also, where can I purchase a new cutlass bearing for the 30+?

Rob R

StrutPro works

GrumpyPawPaw
I used the StrutPro to change the cutlass on my E29. The rudder and shaft did not have to be removed. The attached photo shows the StrutPro removing the cutlass.
Rob R

My yard said to replace my cutlass bearing they would have to remove the shaft and rudder which would be very expensive. Has anyone used the StrutPro tool successfully that doesn't require the shaft and rudder to be removed? Also, where can I purchase a new cutlass bearing for the 30+?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 801
Last edited:

sailorman37

Member II
Cutlass bearing on 30+

GrumpyPawPaw
I used the StrutPro to change the cutlass on my E29. The rudder and shaft did not have to be removed. The attached photo shows the StrutPro removing the cutlass.
Rob R
View attachment 14943

I replaced the bearing on my 30+ with the "BACK" model by Johnson Cutless. I did drop the rudder and pulled the shaft since the boat was in the yard. It was not difficult to drop the rudder (dig a 1' hole), but the shaft coupling was a bit of work. Dropping the rudder allows you to inspect the post for crevice corrosion and pittingDSC02437.JPG.2013-02-27 10.15.40.jpgDSC02516.JPG