30+ crossing cockpit drains

Jaybee

Cocoa, FL 1984 30+
Didn't really find what I was looking for on a search. Lots of stuff about moving the cockpit drains to above the water line.

Anyhow, any reason why I couldn't cross them instead of having them on the same side on a 30+?

Thanks

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
For what it is worth, when I changes my cockpit drains, I cross them. It's is best practice to ensure drainage when heeling.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
While Mark is correct in the above post, we have never had water come up through our cockpit drain in our 1984 E30 + even though we've been heeled at 30 degrees or more, toe rail almost in the water. Hoses are not crossed in our boat.
Frank

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Seems posts come up about the subject periodically. From what I've read over the last few years, I'd guess it's about 50:50 crossed-vs-uncrossed, even on some same-model, same-year boats. My '85 32-3 has uncrossed cockpit drains, but each outboard drain has its own ball valve above the thru-hull.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
I've had the toe rail buried a number of times and not had a problem with cockpit drains. I get the theory but unless I have a issue don't see the need to cross them.