30+ Auxiliary Fuel Tank

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I just excavated a long-ignored storage area and found the old diesel heater tank that I had lost track of after removing it from the boat soon after purchase. The tank had been installed in the lazarette on the little outboard shelf and a copper line ran to the main salon where the bulkhead heater was. The heater was poorly installed as evidenced by the scorched bulkhead and had been leaking diesel into the bilge. I didn't feel the need for it so I removed the entire system.

When I replaced the main fuel tank years ago I thought about using the heater tank as an extra fuel tank and added a tee fitting in case I wanted to. I forgot all about it until I found the heater tank the other day and now I am thinking it would be worth installing. I have a feeling this would not be ABYC approved but I don't see how it would be much different from having it plumbed directly to the heater. I would install a cleanout port on the top of the tank and get rid of the funky sight tube fittings. I probably wouldn't use it much, but since I have it, why not install it? It's kind of a cool tank. It looks to be about 5 gallons which would be a nice backup to the existing fuel tank for longer trips. Anyone else have an auxiliary fuel tank? Any problems I should be aware of with this plan? Thanks.

IMG_6110.jpeg IMG_2950.jpeg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
When we installed a new furnace recently a decision was made to have a dedicated fuel tank for it rather than adding a pipe connection to our engine diesel tank which is located forward under a settee.
We now have a (approx) 2.5 gallon tank located close to the furnace, in a nearby stern storage area. This also lets us use kerosene, which is better for the burner in the little Espar furnace.
I do like the your possibility of having a 2nd tank providing extra engine fuel and also being available for any future resurrection of your heater.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
But is it worth the install when the equivalent is a temporary 5-gallon plastic deck jug? Of which you could have more than one, when needed...

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
But is it worth the install when the equivalent is a temporary 5-gallon plastic deck jug? Of which you could have more than one, when needed...
A reasonable argument and the simplest solution, but the thing is just sitting in my garage taking up space and annoying me. It’s either install it or dispose of it. I figure since it’s already been built and installed once, it should be easy enough to reinstall with a few bits of hose and fittings.