29' exhaust riser

missalot

Member II
I have a 1970 E29T that originally had an atomic 4. Has anyone had to replace/rebuild the copper (bronze?) water jacketed exhaust riser? If so, what did you use?

Bill Sanborn

Member III
I have a 79 E29. Last time I did the exhaust I replaced the pipe between the exhaust manifold and the water cooled section with sched 80 black iron pipe. Stainless steel pipe is expensive and no advantage and galvanized will create poisinous fumes.

I had the upper water cooled section, which is stainless, "boiled out" by a radiator shop. Had the exhaust manifold boiled out at the same time. It removes all of the corrision.

You can find the glass tape it is wrapped with at EJ Bartells which specializes in insulating products. The are located in Renton, WA but may be national.

missalot

Member II
Bill,

Thanks, did your stainless water cooled portion come with the boat. It's the water cooled section I have to replace.

Dave G

Member II
Does anyone have pictures they could share of the E29 exhaust riser and manifold? Mine has some obviously non-stock parts installed by the PO.

Thanks,

Dave G
E29 Spirit

piezzi

Atomic4 Before and After

Hi - I just replaced the "hot section" of my exhaust system, and the above link has before and after pictures for you. I'm not sure if my exhaust configuration is standard for the E29, but I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Best ~ Paul

Freudian Sloop
E29 1970 #45
:egrin:

Dave G

Member II
Paul,

Thanks for the pictures, very helpful. My exhaust needs an upgrade this winter, so I'm trying to gather ideas. What happens after the tee? Is there more pipe, or does it go directly to rubber exhaust hose?

Thanks again for your help.

Dave G

piezzi

E29 Exhaust Riser

Hi Dave - Yes, below the tee I have about a 5" section of exhaust hose that leads into my water muffler. It's probably difficult to see, but looking at the "after" picture......my water muffler sits along the entire left-hand side of the motor.

Paul

Davis Modlin

Inactive Member
I have a 73 E29 and from what I can tell, the engine and exhaust system are original. This past week I have pulled the engine and in the next week or so I will be pulling the exhaust out. The pipe comes off the manifold and bangs a right goes thru the bulkhead into the laserette. The watermuffler is mounted to the galley bulkhead just to the left of the breaker panel. I have found that you can purchase the stock one from pacific seacraft for $300-$400.

If you want pics I can send them to you as I get back down to the boat.

Davis
E29
Holy Guacamole

Last edited:

piezzi

E29 Exhause Riser

Hi Davis - I would like to move my water muffler into the lazarette and, consequently, would love to see a picture of your configuration. At your earliest convenience, please forward me any pics you have to ibesailing@yahoo.com.

Thanks!

Paul

Davis Modlin

Inactive Member
Hey Paul,

I will be down at the boat this coming Monday(10/18) and will be able to send them to you on Weds. or Thurs.(10/20-21).

Davis :egrin:

Wave Seeker

Hi, I have just purchased an Ericson 29 1974 with an A4. The engine is back from the shop today after the previous owner modified the exhaust system and was flooded with seawater. It would help out immensely if I could see some photos/diagrams/dimensions of a stock system

Thanks in advance, David

HGSail

Member III
Hey David

I just replaced my system this winter. The pics I took have to be resized and I don't have the time to do that today, But I will do it tomarrow and will post them then.

Pat
E-29
Holy Guacamole

HGSail

Member III
David

Glad I could help. Sorry that the pics were of such a cruddy system. I just haven't gotten around to takeing pics of the new system.

Happy sailing

Pat
E29
Holy Guacamole