20hp enough for an E-35?

drcam1

Member II
Considering an E-35 mkII that has the original Yanmar 2 cylinder 20hp engine. Current owner states no problems and he has owned boat for 25+ years. Boat appears to be in pristine condition. Any concerns?

stm

stm
I recently purchased a 35-3 in Maine and sailed down to Annapolis. We motored about 1/2 the time and had no problems. Mine has the Universal engine and is 21 HP. Easily pushes 6.5 knots at 2400rpm.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
20hp should be enough but you may not make as good headway against winds and seas.

STM, a lot of the motoring performance of your new boat is related to the prop. The original prop with the M25XP(which actually 23hp) was awful except in perfect conditions. The Flexofold 2 blade folder made it much better.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I have read that the general guideline is 2 hp per ton of displacement. We have a 16 hp on our 9,000 lb Ericson 30+, and it works well, but I wouldn't want to have any less power when dealing with wind, current and waves in some of the stormy conditions where we sail.

Frank

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I have read that the general guideline is 2 hp per ton of displacement. We have a 16 hp on our 9,000 lb Ericson 30+, and it works well, but I wouldn't want to have any less power when dealing with wind, current and waves in some of the stormy conditions where we sail.

Also, keep in mind that the alternator uses some power, especially if you have a larger one than stock.

Frank

u079721

Contributing Partner

Also, keep in mind that the alternator uses some power, especially if you have a larger one than stock.

Frank

Frank I think you may have written that rule of thumb wrong, as what is usually quoted is 1 HP/500 lbs displacement, or 4 HP/ton. So the 32 HP Universal in my roughly 16,000 lb E38 was more or less correct.

sailingdeacon

Member III
I know this sounds flippant, but enough HP for what? It really depends on your area and the conditions expected. The previous owner of my E34 installed a 30 hp Universal. He was in the Chesapeake. I'd really not want to punch into a 3-4 foot chop in the Pamlico Sound with a 20 hp engine unless I had a 3 blade prop, but that's awful for sailing.