2019 Lake Michigan PHRF rating...

oldfauser

Member III
So we get our renewed PHRF for Lake Michigan... we're getting a 3 second/mile penalty for having a shoal draft keel for distance racing!!!! Also getting a 6 second penalty for having an asymmetrical spinnaker over a symmetrical spinnaker for distance!

so we ended up at 171 for distance and 177 for buoy racing... with spinnaker..

Last edited:

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
...so we ended up at 171 for distance and 177 for buoy racing... with spinnaker..

You sure those are penalties?

The base number for a 32-III up here is 162. Mine ended up at 180 because of three adjustments:
+9 sec/mile for an undersized headsail (mine's about 120%)
+3 sec/mile for an undersized spinnaker (165%, vs the standard 180%)
+6 sec/mile for a fixed-blade prop.

Capture.JPG

There "shouldn't" be any difference because of the type of spinnaker, it goes by size, not shape.

$.02
Bruce

Last edited:

oldfauser

Member III
we start with a base of 168

-3 for over sized mainsail (not sure why on this)
3 roller head sail fuller credit
9 credit for converting from pole tacked spinnaker to center-lined tacked spinnaker
-3 DHCP adjustment for a boat with a shallow draft
-3 DHCP adjustment for boats that carry an asymmetric spinnaker

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Interesting. PHRF-NW doesn't have DHCP (or at least, I can't find mention of it in the handbook....)

And a kite tacked at the headstay is rated the same as a pole-flown kite, unless there is a sprit.

Bruce

oldfauser

Member III
ToD distance racing handicap (DHCP) 171...

The sail maker that built our Genoa sits on the PHRF board for Lake Michigan. I called him and asked about our rating adjustments. He told me that 1) shoal draft boats are faster in distance races as they figure 75% is off the wind... and shoal draft is faster... (I would debate that with the Ericson 32-3 SD) and 2) Asymmetrical spinnakers are fast than symmetrical spinnakers!

we lost 3 seconds from last year, which is the mainsail oversize adjustment, which just showed up this year. Not sure about this adjustment...

I will say that the boat is fast if we can get the asail up though... :egrin: