2016 Rendezous @ Maple Bay, July 8 - 10

InSync

Member II
Rendezvous

Our boat projects, particularly some needed safety and other upgrades, are not getting completed soon enough for a an offshore trip up the coast this year.
I have booked us into a B&B near Maple Bay and we will be at the Viking Gathering. Looking forward to meeting old and new friends.

We will miss boating around Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands, but plans change, and sometimes we just have to adjust our sails, as the saying goes.

See you all there,
Loren

That's the spirit! Nothing keeps a good Viking from enjoying a raid on a marina potluck! If you are coming over via the Anacortes/Sidney ferry, please let us know. You could spend a night at our place on your journey up island...proving we are at home. Email me if you think it might work.
See you soon!

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Unfortunately, Terra Nova is dropping out of the Rendezvous. There is no way that we will be ready for a cruise. Rae Ann refuses to sleep on a slab of plywood and we really need to be sure the systems are really working prior to a Straights crossing. We still have Terra Nova but she has taken a beating. We will be there though. We just booked a room at the Birds of a Feather B&B for three days. I know it is a poor substitute for what should be but we will be there.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Bob Morrison (Super Sailor on this site) has kindly agreed to do a talk at the upcoming rendezvous in Maple Bay about his recent experience in dealing with the near sinking of "Terra Nova" his 1987 E34. For those of you who may not be aware, he has posted pics and information in the Lifestyle segment of this forum.

A near sinking, or any water inside the boat, requires quick and thoughtful action to minimize damage and plan required repairs. As many of us don't have much experience dealing with this, I think this would be very useful information to help us should we ever experience something similar.

See you all there!
Frank

Frank Langer

Hi,
Does anyone know if there will be a potluck dinner at the Maple Bay rendezvous or are folks planning on going out for dinner at the Shipyard restaurant? Just wondering if I need to bring something appropriate along.
I'm looking forward to meeting with you all again!
Frank

InSync

Member II
Rendezvous

Hi,
Does anyone know if there will be a potluck dinner at the Maple Bay rendezvous or are folks planning on going out for dinner at the Shipyard restaurant? Just wondering if I need to bring something appropriate along.
I'm looking forward to meeting with you all again!
Frank
We are planning on there being a potluck as that is the usual format and we haven't heard anything different. I know Loren and Kathy are bringing plates, cutlery etc for a potluck. So I figure we have the start of a potluck for Saturday! That's the plan we're going with.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"Viking" Invasion imminent

We are planning on there being a potluck as that is the usual format and we haven't heard anything different. I know Loren and Kathy are bringing plates, cutlery etc for a potluck. So I figure we have the start of a potluck for Saturday! That's the plan we're going with.

We will indeed bring plates, napkins, utensils, and etc. Also Kathy has made a bunch of raffle prizes.
We do look forward to boat-to-boat visiting on Saturday.
What with visiting "Vikings" arriving by sea and land, there should be a petty good crowd.

:egrin:

Loren

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Hey Guys. This is a Canadian event this year and Loren and Kathy aren't running the show. They put a huge effort in last year and it is the Northern guys turn. I expected to bring my own plates, utensils and accessories ( I did save them from the boat).
These two are putting in a huge effort and I would expect some good Canadian support this year to make this event successful. I'm not seeing it so far.

Frank Langer

I'll help out in any way I can once I've arrived Friday evening, but we've had too many issues and absences this year so I've not been in any position to take on any pre-rendezvous organization. Just dealing with life is sometimes all we can manage.... especially with four children and four grand children as well as an aging parent and an older sailboat. :rolleyes:
Frank

InSync

Member II
Rendezvous

I'll help out in any way I can once I've arrived Friday evening, but we've had too many issues and absences this year so I've not been in any position to take on any pre-rendezvous organization. Just dealing with life is sometimes all we can manage.... especially with four children and four grand children as well as an aging parent and an older sailboat. :rolleyes:
Frank

Thanks for your offer of help Frank, it is much appreciated, and people working together, with or without a strong leader, is what makes events like this rendezvous come together. Loren said it best in an earlier post when he said that some years these events attract a strong leader and at other times it's a more casual affair (paraphrasing here of course!).

Looking forward to seeing everyone over the weekend and, of course, the traditional potluck on Saturday night!!

Helga and Joe

Annette

schedule conflict

Hi all, after doing much thinking, I decided that Peregrine (32", 1973) and I sadly won't attend the rendezvous as it is coinciding with Pride week, with two marches (Alt Pride saturday and "Corporate" Pride sunday) happening that I would like to attend. This was a choice of committing to either one of two (of course interrelating) communities that I am a part of, and I decided to stay in Oak Bay this weekend and walk in the marches.
I wish you all a wonderful gathering and good weather and fair winds!!
Best wishes from Peregrine and me,
Annette

InSync

Member II
Rendezvous

Hi all, after doing much thinking, I decided that Peregrine (32", 1973) and I sadly won't attend the rendezvous as it is coinciding with Pride week, with two marches (Alt Pride saturday and "Corporate" Pride sunday) happening that I would like to attend. This was a choice of committing to either one of two (of course interrelating) communities that I am a part of, and I decided to stay in Oak Bay this weekend and walk in the marches.
I wish you all a wonderful gathering and good weather and fair winds!!
Best wishes from Peregrine and me,
Annette

I know, I know. Those times when we wish we could clone ourselves! Lol!

We will miss you and your bright, smiling face Annette, but wish you a fabulous weekend! Catch you next time - fair winds!

Last edited by a moderator:

Frank Langer

I'll be on my way early tomorrow morning to get through Dodd Narrows at slack and take advantage of an ebb tide.
I hope we have a great turnout at the rendezvous despite a questionable weather forecast.
See you in Maple Bay!
Frank

TKBLACK

Member II
Eleven here so far

There are 11 yachts here Saturday. Sunny times between clouds. TKBlack. Tom and Karin on Achates a PSE 34 1993.
Friendly folks and pets.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Friends, Fun, and... Food!

Saturday:
Huge pot luck with a lot of main dishes and salads, everyone needing something to drink seemed to have something to drink, and a LOT of time was spent on/in the various boats. :egrin:

A drawing for gift totes of swag was held. quite a bit of swag, actually.
Everyone pitched in to clean up.

The staff at the marina was really helpful and cordial. It's a real pleasure to come here.

There were some rain showers late on Saturday but all of the meal and program was under the big roof over the tables and chairs.
Bob Morrison gave a presentation of how to deal with a major flood and brought some attention-getting pictures of his boat (floating rather low in the water). There was an excellent discussion about how to quickly save an engine (he did that) and how to empty and dehumidify an interior after it had been invaded by a couple of feet of water for several hours. He accomplished that too.

On Friday evening we all gathered in the upstairs dining area of the Shipyard Pub for a great dinner. More conversation, of course.
What with 11 boats and two more couples driving in, there was a lot of opportunity for socializing and much of that was accomplished!
:egrin:

There should be some pictures to post when we all get our camera memory down loaded.

Sunny and warmer on Sunday and most boats left for more cruising, and two are staying until Monday.

Cheers,
Loren and Kathy

Last edited:

supersailor

Contributing Partner
The Rendezvous was hugely successful. There were some first times. Really appreciated meeting Stefan and his E-34 that he singlehanded for the very first time. There was Larry who talked me into flapping my lips for a bit about my semi-submersible E-34 (hopefully the only one in the fleet). As usual Helga and Joe graced the table as well as too many others to mention.

A big thanks to Maple Bay Marina who were gracious two years ago. Who picked up the pieces of my wife a year ago and drove us to the Duncan Emergency Room and back. And for being gracious hosts this year.

A huge thanks goes to that Wizard of every thing Ericson and everything else (he is a treasure trove of every bit of trivia dating back to 1492). Loren, thanks for everything and please keep crossing swords on everything from Politics to repairs. You are irreplaceable and always right (except at Politics!)

And a much huger thanks goes to Lady Ericson. She is unbelievable. Besides all of the wonderful things that you saw that I know took her most of the year to assemble at her own cost, she assembled a really big beautiful bag at the last moment embroidered with the Logo and Terra Nova E-34 with every thing we needed for a Land Yacht cruise to Maple Bay while the Insurance Company recovers Terra Nova including a bottle of wine!. Kathy, thank you very, very much.

Perhaps we should start a petition to change "Fresh Air's" name to "Lady Ericson".

Frank Langer

My thanks to everyone who helped to make this 2016 rendezvous a success! It was great to meet several new people (all of whom said they had a good time and will attend in future years), checking out all the different sizes and models of Ericsons was fun as usual, the potluck was delicious and the venue at Maple Bay Marina is so quaint, scenic and hospitable. Bob Morrison (Supersailor) gave a great talk on his recent experience with sea water almost sinking his boat and his steps to minimize damage and then bring her back into shape.

And I got lucky on my sail home to see two Orca killer whales swim by my anchorage, along with all the other wildlife--seals, eagles, blue herons, kingfishers and more.

See you all again!

Frank

Last edited:

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Funny you should mention Orcas Frank. The Coho was a whale watching boat this return trip home. We were returning with Loren and Kathy Beach on the 1500 run when we went through a whole pod of Orcas at the Canadian-US border. Orcas are always a great thrill. The Coho didn't slow down, though.

hodo

Member III
rendezvous

Hi all, we would like to express our thanks to Loren and Kathy for their support this year, once again. Jessie and I had a Great Time, meeting and re-meeting folks. The talk by Bob was eye-opening to say the least. We have continued on in the Gulf Islands. Ladysmith, Telegraph Harbor, Chemanis, now in Ganges, tomorrow it will be Montague. Great time great folks, What a way to start Retirement!! Thanks again everyone, including the staff at Maple Bay.
Harold and Jessie, S/V Mischief :devil: Maker

Mike H

Member I
Next year at Anacortes

Sorry we missed but Sophie the cat couldn't handle the Strait on Friday or Saturday. We finally made it on Sunday, so glad Second Star and Mischief Maker were still there. Next year we'll leave home a week early to accomodate seasick felines.