2010 Rendez Vous Location

Where would you entertain attending?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

wurzner

Member III
It is likely too late to secure decent marina slips. Here are some options I would be willing to attend as well as some options to see what the other members would be interested in. I will only be capable of attending one in the US since my boat is in Everett, I work in San Diego and am only home for weekends every month or so.

regards
Shaun

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Time to set the date and place

To hold to the alternating-side-of-border idea this year would normally be in Canada. No one seems to have yet stepped forward from the BC Ericson's to set up a destination port and basic marina reservations. That's not to say that they won't, though.

If I recall, with hazy memory, from the past, by February we should be zeroing in a place and a date -- and have some discussion going with the host marina or YC. I can assure anyone thinking about doing this that the basic phone calls and emails to the moorage site and setting up a basic meeting room are not difficult. Once the date and place is set and people know what to do to register they can plan their summer accordingly.

Someone please step up and declare the details for the BC rendezvous, and, if that's not forthcoming by another month lets open up the choices to... ??... somewhere...
:confused:
Personally, I have always thought that the south Sound might be a great choice if someone there wants to m.c. the event. After all, Olympia is just a day away from the central Sound area.

*Speaking of having a "place" I note that the Islander owners seem to be quite happy returning every year to Pt Ludlow, and would guess that this makes rendezvous planning very easy for both host and attendees.

Making it easier, no matter where we go, is that most marinas have abnormally high vacancy rates these days and should welcome us -- and of course... our $$.

A further aside: Due, we were told to budget cutting, there was no CN customs booth at the recent Seattle Boat Show. US Customs was there and confirmed that all we US types really need to reenter is our current passport.

Wry Observation: too bad my fair city (PDX) is so far way from "Puget Sound" (or whatever it is being called this year). My YC has over 500 feet of guest float available for such an event. :cool:

Cheers,
Loren
:egrin:

ps: Let's not dwell too much on numbers of boats, either. Better to have a rendezvous with a few than not to have one, and if we are there and Harold and Jesse and Sean and Meeta are there... and a few more Vikings, and we all enjoy a taste of "Apple Pie", the even will be a Complete Success. :)
edit -- I added Bedwell to the poll choices. Hope no one minds.

Last edited:

chasandjudy

chas and judy
2010 rendezvous

As suggested Bedwell Harbour, Customs port of entry, father's day weekend
excelent moorage and amenities best dates, previous rendezvous have all been quite good.:egrin:

Chas and Judi E 30+ Eden

hodo

Member III
2010 Rendevouz

Hi folks, Jessie and I need to see where this will be, as I have started a new[again] job, and have limited time I can take off. If it is in Tacoma area,Seattle area, or South Sound, we can bring Mischief Maker. Otherwise, probably Honda Goldwing will be our transport.

Shamwari

Please Contact Admin.
Call to the Canadians

I'm fairly busy but it would be a shame if we Canadians can't organize a rendevous. I'm out of the Lower Mainland and would like to see it somewhere reachable in a day. Have we ever done a raftup at somewhere like Montaque Harbour? There's lots to do there and it's central. If anyone wants to get together and get this going drop me a line.
John Pirquet, if you are on th list - Simon says your dying to help organize this - let's get some people together and get it started.

John Gleadle
Shamwari E-39
super07@telus.net

TS Farley

Member II
responding to the call for all Ericsons

Hi all. Just wanted to say that "anytime" and "any place" to meet some fellow Ericson enthusiasts sounds good to me. I was thinking that a tour down south would be great before heading north in July but staying in B.C. would be equally fine.

Bedwell Harbour/Poets Cove would be a good choice for north of the border. Some friends have a large, beautiful B&B (complete with a 75' dock) on the west side of North Pender Island for anyone who overshoots, there's a grocery store in Port Browning and great shore facilities in Poets Cove itself.

And then there is the Saturna Island Winery....... It probably only has the Granny Smith kind of "apple pie" but its Sauvignon Blanc is not too shabby.

I am based close by, so if it is a chosen destination I would be happy to volunteer to help with organizing.

Vivian Morrow
TS Farley
Canoe Cove
Vancouver Island

chasandjudy

chas and judy
Hi all. Just wanted to say that "anytime" and "any place" to meet some fellow Ericson enthusiasts sounds good to me. I was thinking that a tour down south would be great before heading north in July but staying in B.C. would be equally fine.

Bedwell Harbour/Poets Cove would be a good choice for north of the border. Some friends have a large, beautiful B&B (complete with a 75' dock) on the west side of North Pender Island for anyone who overshoots, there's a grocery store in Port Browning and great shore facilities in Poets Cove itself.

And then there is the Saturna Island Winery....... It probably only has the Granny Smith kind of "apple pie" but its Sauvignon Blanc is not too shabby.

I am based close by, so if it is a chosen destination I would be happy to volunteer to help with organizing.

Vivian Morrow
TS Farley
Canoe Cove
Vancouver Island

I totally agree, most of us want to go to poet's Cove on Father"s Day week end I and John Pirquett of Hilda Harris are going to make our reservations there. Let's stop this bickering and "DO IT"

chasandjudy

chas and judy

Vivian Morrow
TS Farley
Canoe Cove
Vancouver Island

I totally agree, most of us want to go to poet's Cove on Father"s Day week end I and John Pirquett of Hilda Harris are going to make our reservations there. Let's stop this bickering and "DO IT" chas and Judi SV- Eden E 30+

TS Farley

Member II
I'm in too

Well, that makes 4 at Poets Cove on June 20th.

Hopefully it's not too far/inconvenient for the people down south.

Vivian Morrow
TS Farley
E II 35
Canoe Cove

chasandjudy

chas and judy
Rendezvous

Well, that makes 4 at Poets Cove on June 20th.

Hopefully it's not too far/inconvenient for the people down south.

Vivian Morrow
TS Farley
E II 35
Canoe Cove

That's it then make your reservation for Father's Day week end June 19- 20
Sat and Sun Hilda Harris and Eden will arriver there Friday evening on the 19
we will tie up at the breakwater and proceed to our assigned slips Saturday afternoon. Booking # is 250-629-2111 . Twenty five spots have been set aside for us Saturday June 20 you can book Sunday as well ! Poet"s Cove is on South Pender Islan and is a Canadian Customs Official Point of entry a perfect jump off for visiting The Gulf Islands and beyond. See you there
we could use some more help on Friday with the organization of things at their break water Chas and Judi sv-eden E30+ John and Lynn Hilda Harris E 28.
phone me at 250 478 3669 or cell 888 4503 E mail s v-eden@telus.net:egrin:

Shamwari

Please Contact Admin.
What can I do?

I don't know if I will be able to get over Friday for the rendevous as we may be too busy ( I work with John's son, Simon) but there are some things I might be able to do here before I come over. A couple of years ago I made T-Shirts, and I could try to get door prizes from the dealers in Vancouver and Bellingham. If there are other things my wife is interested in helping as well. Let us know.

John Gleadle
e-39
Shamwari

D & DM Cahill

Member II
Rendezvous

We like the Poet's Cove location and will try hard to make the rendezvous. It is still a little early for us to commit for Father's Day weekend but will let you know as soon as we can. Thanks. Dave and Donna-Marie

chasandjudy

chas and judy
I don't know if I will be able to get over Friday for the rendevous as we may be too busy ( I work with John's son, Simon) but there are some things I might be able to do here before I come over. A couple of years ago I made T-Shirts, and I could try to get door prizes from the dealers in Vancouver and Bellingham. If there are other things my wife is interested in helping as well. Let us know.

John Gleadle
e-39
Shamwari

Please let me know about "T" Shirts soon as I have a line for them in Victoria
B.C. P.S. seven boats have registered for the rendezvous at Poet"s Cove June 19-20 The last one was Vivian from Langly BC an E 35 kept at Canoe Cove Sidney B.C Thanks Chas and Judy SV Eden E30+

Keep Coming!!!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Anyone know what the CN customs regs are on allowable amount of spirits aboard for entry into Canada?
Is it possible to legally bring in a bottle of "Apple Pie?"

:)

Loren

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks, Vivian.
Looks like very limited import of spirits is permitted.
Copy-paste from their site:
"You are allowed to import only one of the following amounts of alcohol free of duty and taxes:
1.5 litres (53 imperial ounces) of wine;
1.14 litres (40 ounces) of liquor;
a total of 1.14 litres (40 ounces) of wine and liquor; or
24 x 355 millilitre (12 ounces) cans or bottles (maximum of 8.5 litres) of beer or ale."

Looks like a quart of liqueur might be OK.
My take on the restrictions is that visitors should buy well-taxed alcohol once they arrive! :rolleyes:

Some things never change, like the ban on potatoes. I remember a trip over to Victoria 30 years ago, throwing potatoes over the side on our way in!
:)

Thanks again,
Loren

Last edited:

TS Farley

Member II
medicinal supplies

Loren,

Yes, I remember a group of us trying to eat a whole bag of peaches at the border going in the opposite direction about 30 years ago.

But......re the expensive ETOH, you could bypass the taxes by joining your Canadian friends in making batches of "U-Brew" wine and ale and then pick yours up on your way to the northern cruising grounds. You'd have to plan several months in advance though! And this would only be for wine; the government takes a dim view of "U-Distill" spirits.

Are the "off-topic" police going to crack down on this thread now? Just in case, back to the :egrin: rendezvous topic, there is the Medicine Beach Liquor Store within dinghy distance at the head of Bedwell Harbour for those friends from the south who do not yet have $4 a bottle (CDN$!) U-Brew wine waiting for them in Canadian garages.

Vivian
TS Farley
Canoe Cove
Vancouver Island

chasandjudy

chas and judy
Rendezvous 2010 North West

That's it then make your reservation for Father's Day week end June 19- 20
Sat and Sun Hilda Harris and Eden will arriver there Friday evening on the 18
we will tie up at the breakwater and proceed to our assigned slips Saturday afternoon. Booking # is 250-629-2111 . Twenty five spots have been set aside for us Saturday June 19 you can book Sunday as well ! Poet"s Cove is on South Pender Islan and is a Canadian Customs Official Point of entry a perfect jump off for visiting The Gulf Islands and beyond. See you there
we could use some more help on Friday with the organization of things at their break water Chas and Judi sv-eden E30+ John and Lynn Hilda Harris E 28.
phone me at 250 478 3669 or cell 888 4503 E mail s v-eden@telus.net:egrin:

We noow have seven boats registed for Poet's Cove June 19-20 Sat and sun

Chas and Judi

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Move to main thread?

How about we lock this sub forum "where shall we go this year" thread and let the continuing information for the '10 rendezvous stay in the other thread?
Anyone mind??
After all, this one was focused, earlier on, on the "where". Now that we have a place and a date, there is another thread in the main NW forum to continue with for listing attendees and any details.

If no objections, l shall have a look at it tomorrow and do that.
What I would call the main thread is at:
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=8080&referrerid=28

Regards,
Loren

Status
Not open for further replies.