2009 Rendezvous Planning

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We Need to pin down that weekend

Hello All Stations,
I just got an email from Rhonda at Pt Hudson Marina this morning. They do not yet have our group scheduled for June 12-13, but would like to. All other weekends in June are full already (!) .
I do not mind tossing in my non-refundable reservation fee, but other Vikings might want more reassurance before handing over their VISA number. :rolleyes:

I am also concerned how much trouble and bother this might be for someone who can barely afford to attend with or without their boat, much less worry about "party arrangements." What with job and recession worries and all, maybe it's best just to plan on a gathering and a pot luck. Meeting other owners and learning about their boats are the real reasons most of us want to attend anyway.
(Prying a door prize out of a cash-strapped vendor might be jolly tough in these times, anyhow.)

My suggestion: Nail down these dates, June 12-14, get the word out, and let everyone know that they are welcome by sea or by land. Focus on people. If we can set a time (Saturday late afternoon?) for the potluck, everyone can bring, as a friend from Michigan used to call it, a "dish to pass." :)
Sidebar: he had never heard it called a potluck until moving to Oregon. ;)

Anyone wanting to write to me direct, just click on my name and chose the email option.

Cheers,
Loren
:egrin:

ps: I believe that Sean may have access to an Ericson banner again!

hodo

Member III
Loren, and all, if this is going to be the date and place, let's nail it down. I'll send in my deposit. Lets go, I need to go sailing, the house is close to done. Would you post the contacts and info? Thanks Loren.
Harold and Jessie, Mischief :devil: Maker

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Let's Git 'r' Done

Today I made a phone call --
To the harbor master at Pt Hudson Marina. They will book us into a block of slips, rather than be scattered out, IF... we book XX number of boats ahead of time, with a non-refundable reservation fee of $7/boat.
If we each do our own booking for a slip ahead of time, each person pays their own $7. reservation fee, but will have no assurance to being near any other Ericsons.

If a representative of our EY.org group does this, he pays the fee (10 boats = $70., for instance) and each owner then owes this person their $7. Or, as the harbor master suggests, a bottle of wine! ;)
They deal with a lot of rendezvous boating groups and have had this conversation before!
:)

Note that this fee is solely for the reservation and is NOT part of the nightly dock charges. They need to know the actual (!) length of the boat and then will assign a boat to a 32 or 40 foot finger dock, and no overhangs are allowed. The nightly cost of $1./foot is then assessed by length of the dock required, i.e. either $32. or $40. per night.
Power, if you want it, is $3. more per night.

Reference:http://www.portofpt.com/point_hudson_rates.htm

Example: our 34 footer will be charged $40. per night, and luxuriate in a 40 foot long slip. :cool:

For us, I can see that other nights around the Sound will have be spent on the anchor or using "recips" at other YC docks. Rate wise, I guess it's about par for Puget Sound, what with Shileshole Bay Marina charging $1.15/foot/night. :boohoo:

So, yea or nay?

Loren

ps: I will wait a few days before booking, as the harbor master said that a week would not make a difference this far ahead of time. I wonder just how many to book, 10 @ $70., or more... like maybe 15 or 20?

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Moving Forward...

I will plan on booking an initial number of slips by end of this week.

Looks like, for the moment, there will be: Harold, Shaun, and maybe Marc (all 38's), Tom and maybe Steve (both 35's), me with a 34, and Peter (28).

A block of ten slips would be a nice round number for openers, unless and until more owners book in here and add their names to our list. Later entries would just book their own slip, and plan on being elsewhere in the marina -- probably beside a big Bayliner with a genset and large screen TV! :)

Anyone remember what the participation was the last time at this location?
(I would not begrudge fronting a few unclaimed $7. reservations, but would not want to overbook to a large extant.)

Thanks,
Loren

ps: Kathy sez that any chocolate that Jessie brings is Just Fine with her! :)

Last edited:

Special K

Member II
Rendezvous 2009

Loren,

Thank you for pulling this together. I am looking forward to meeting with more experienced Ericson owners. In addition to providing a dish to share, may I suggest that we share a "Planters Punch" as well?

Peter

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Slips NOW Reserved

Please email me privately with your name and boat length. I kinda have this info from this thread, but just want to be sure.

TEN slips now reserved. I put it on my credit card.
For a social event like a pot luck the Marina Room is tentatively ours for Saturday (another group had previously booked it but canceled yesterday.)

Another block of slips can be added as long as space is available. Rhonda will try to juggle the slip assignments so that later reservations can be placed with the early ones like us, but as time compresses, this will be more difficult.
:rolleyes:
Sidebar: this was the only open weekend that they had in June.

Let's really get the word out to all Ericson and Olson owners in the region.
Your support and friendship is appreciated.
Planters punch, dark chocolate and "apple pie" too!

Loren Beach

:cheers:

ps: here is a picture from a prior rendezvous here, just before the nice new concrete docks were installed.
Also a diagram of the present moorage layout.

Attachments

• 05 Pt Townsend lorez.jpg
    05 Pt Townsend lorez.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 500_hudson_lg.jpg
    500_hudson_lg.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

chasandjudy

chas and judy
If we are planning an event for 2009, it is time to start thinking about the logistics of where and collecting dues to reserve slips. Most of the marina's are charging reservation fees that are not applied to the actual moorage fees. I would encourage the list to get active on talking about when and where so we can lock in the dates Jan 2nd. I'm not sure if it going to be north or south of the boarder since I'm not sure if we had an event this year. In trying to keep with alternating countries, I 'm not sure where 2009 lands.

It would be a shame to not get an event in since the one's I have attended were very fun and it would be nice to get together again.

shaun

Time to quit procrastinating as most of you did last year' for the rendezvous at CFSA Esquimalt Harbour Rendevous 09 Port Tounsand Marina for the dates of June 12 - 13 with the reservation system as prescribed sounds good to me

Charlie E 30+ # 720 Victoria B.C. we have three boats in our Marina wanting to go . However I am not going to run around and put out brochures
without a confirmed date as I did last year.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
We'll be there (sans boat) for sure - and will be putting up some stuff on the site about it - and will help in the prizes/gifts stuff here in Seattle...

EVERYONE : Do this - no more waiting - it's on the calandar! :egrin:

//sse

Stuart

Member II

Hi All
I am sorry to miss this event, the group I sail with annually in a regatta, (last year we sailed in Denmark) are sailing in BC waters this year, the dates are June 6th to 13th.A bit of a conflict with the rendezvous for me unfortunately!
However I am sure you will all have a good time without me. We are planning to sail for the month of August, heading south from Comox to the Gulf Islands, Victoria and wherever else. This is all based on our boat being ready to sail by then. We are in the process of painting the entire boat and doing some comfort related work on the interior. So , August just might be at the dock…still…finishing things up.
It has been great to bump into some friends from past rendezvous who have sailed to Comox, we have a mooring in the bay so let us know when you’re in the neighborhood and stop in for some refreshments!
Maybe the 2010 rendezvous could be in Comox on the August first weekend, lot and lot to do that weekend!!
http://www.filbergfestival.com/
http://www.comoxvalleyguide.com/entertainment/seasonal/nautical-days/

Cheers
And Happy sailing to all!
Stuart
SV Fairhaven
Comox BC

Special K

Member II
2009 Rendezvous

I was wondering if we should try to get a posting of the rendezvous into 48 North. Should we think about posting some flyers at local marinas?

sailorjdh

Member I
Is it still possible to sign up?

It would be great to meet other Ericson owners being a Newbie. I am not sure from the threads whether there are still openings and if so when exactly is the event and how does one go about signing up and are there fees now to be paid,etc.
Thanks Jeff Hart

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Jeff,
Just open the thread right by this one called "09 Rendezvous Reservations".
Contact the Pt Hudson Marina like it advises and book a slip.
Please let me know when you have done this, as the marina wants me (on behalf of this group) to keep a list of attendees to check against their records.

Cheers,
Loren