2007 Chesapeake Bay Ericson Rendezvous

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
With you on the Cafe's Margaritas. I live within walking distance of that place for a good reason... I took their recipe home not long ago: equal parts tequilla, triple sec, roses lime. Good stuff.

Spirit Captain

rendezvous

Chris,
We won't be in the race, but we will meet you at Shaw Bay on Saturday early afternoon or as soon as you get there.
Looking forward to it.
Eric and Carolyn

therapidone

Member III
DRAT! Can't make it!

:esad:

We already have commitments for that weekend on the bay! We'll be at Dun Cove, north of Knapps Narrows on the east side of the same land mass containing St. Michaels...Dun Cove is more or less along Harris Creek at this point and just about due east of the south tip of Poplar Island (at least as it's represented on the charts).

Hope everyone has a good time...we'll miss you Vikings...we'll be hanging out w/ Pearson owners & the-rag tag group, including us, that comprises the Rhode River Boat Club.

Regards,

Ed

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Details

We are getting close and I wanted to share some details. I will post my best attmpt at an NOR and sailing instructions by friday.

As discussed earlier we will gather at Thomas Point at noon and plan to start at 1230. I have power boat lined up to signal the start. We will do a 5 minute sequence for the start. Doubt we will have flags but I will be broadcasting the sequence on vhf 65 for those who care. Official start will be at 1230 so sequence will begin at 1225. A series of horn or whistle blasts at 1224 to signal we are about to start the sequence in one minute. I would like to have all racers check in via channel 65 to confirm their intention to participate in the race so we know how many boats actually race. If you decide to drop out and motor on for what ever reason after the start please hail me on 65 and let me know. I will be on 65 as Escape Plan and will address participants and E-38 Annual Regatta Participants.

My plan is to have us race from Thomas point to the entrance to the Wye river. I will post bouys to be honored in the NOR/Sailing Instructions but the course will follow the channel/deep water to the finish. If there is sufficieint breeze I will consider using R 84 off Poplar Island as the turn mark into Eastern Bay. If it looks light we will simply honor Bloody Point and the green after it to port, the red off Rich Neck to starbord and finish at the turn from Miles River into the Wye, but look to the Sailing Instructions and broadcasts prior to the start for final confirmation. Sorry to get all official sounding but I feel if we are gonna race we may as well all be one the same wavelength.

After entering the Wye River we will intend to raft up in Shaw bay for festivities. I have a lot on my plate but if someone wants to volunteer to secure some awards for say 1st thru 3rd with maybe a best effort award please let me know. I will do my best to get something together but am going to be more or less single handing with my wife and 2 kids...

I am very excited to meet all of you and see your boats and hope this is the beginning of an annual event!

If you want to contact me off line :

tresheti@provbank.com or 410-919-8539

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Hey Ted,
Thanks for getting all this together!
Any chance of having the basics of the 2 course options available for tomorrow? We're getting on the boat on Thurs night and leaving first thing on Fri morning.
Let me know if I can help with anything,
Chris

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I should be able to get it posted tonight. I thought I had a chartbook at home but was mistaken. I was thinking we would start at TP then honor Bloody point to port, the green lighted bouy G1 (I think) just past Bloody to port, then the red lighted bouy off Rich neck to starboard, then finish at the mark off of the mouth of the Wye. I am not sure what that mark is and don't think we want to sail all the way up into the Wye. I figure if we use gps time to start and ask folks to record their GPS time at the finish we should be good to go. My thoughts on adding R 84 of Poplar Island as the turn mark were if there was decent breeze it would make for a bit longer/better course. If there was a southerly it would be a beat to R 84 then an broad reach/run up eastern bay then a short beat to the finish. Chris if you are sitting in front of a chart and want to post the proper names for the marks I outlined above it would be fine with me. Otherwise I'll grab the chart book off the boat this evening.

david henry

Member I
e-38 race

Ted,
Thanks for getting this all organized. We will try to reach you by phone or radio as we near Thomas Point to get further details on the course selection.
Dave

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Sailing Instructions/ NOR

Please accept the following as our NOR/Sailing Instructions for saturday's race/cruise I am using an older chart so the bouy numbers may be off my apologies but I think we will figure it out:

Racing will be governed by the Racing Rules of sailing (Current RRS).

Rendezvous: Vacinity of Thomas Point Light 1200 Saturday June 30. Please hail SV Escape Plan with your sail number or boat name if you intend to race.

Start: Between flag on power boat (26' Lyman Cruisette) and government mark C "75" Green can off Thomas Point. Start sequesnce will follow RRS 26, 5 Minute series.

Finish: Red Nun "8" southwest of Bennett Point off of the mouth of Wye River entrance on the Miles River.

Course: To be announced by 1215 by SV Escape Plan. It will be one of the following: Long Course: Honor R "84" to port, Bloody Point light to port, G "1" off Bloody Point to port, R "4" off Rich Neck to Starboard, Red Nun "8" to port at the finish. Short course delete R "84" from the long course and honor all other marks as outlined.

Signals: 1224 Series of short horn or whistle blasts to signal approx 1 minute to sequence start.
1225 One Blast 5 minutes to start
1226 One blast 4 Minutes to start
1229 One Blast 1 Minute to start
1230 One Blast Start

Race committee will attempt to hail OCS competitors but onus remains with skippers to start fairly.

Time Limit: 6 hours, if you really want to endure that long you need your head examined.

Protests: Any protesting yacht will be reqiured to supply Rum and Tonic of sufficient quantities to convince RC to hear your case. Subsequent protest hearings will be held at Fall Rendezvous with results likely to be unfair.

Awards: To be determined.

Social: Raft up in Shaw bay just inside mouth of Wye River to starboard. All Ericsons and thier friends of any yacht make welcome.

Sunday Race Back: To be determined by yachts present...

Communications: SV Escape Plan to monitor VHF channel 65 with course info and starting sequence details. Escape Plan can also be hailed via phone at 410-919-8539. Skipper Ted Reshetiloff.

Last edited:

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Sweet!

Sorry, was out for a while yesterday...
Sounds great! Thanks for all the organization and getting your friend to "volunteer" for RC duty:egrin:
We'll be there!

Attachments

• E-38 course.jpg
    E-38 course.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 36

lbertran

Member III
Sounds Great But We Can't Make It

I was looking forward to the raft up but something's come up and we won't be able to join you guys. Have a great time and take lots of pictures.

Laura Bertran
Footloose- 1985 E35-3
Annapolis, MD

Bolo

Contributing Partner
We're going to try

We have all the intentions in the world in making the rendezvous but "Vesper" developed a holding tank problem :esad: and I had to order a new one from Ronco in CA. It came in today but now I have to install it. So even though we will probably not be racing we may make it to Shaw Bay. Hope to see you all.
:egrin:

david henry

Member I
e-38 race

Thanks again Ted for setting this up. I'm looking at the charts and can't find your starting point off Thomas Point light. I see a g/r government marker, but no g-75. Am I looking in the wrong place?
Dave

John Butler

Member II
Red Rover will be there. We can be reached by phone at 301-613-7996.

Ted, thanks for setting this up. We've been very preoccupied with wedding plans (getting married next Saturday). I also note the mark discrepancy on the electronic chart I looked at. I guess we can sort this out on the water.

John

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Sorry I guess I am loooking at old charts. There used to be a green can just of Thomas Pt. If its not there we will just set the line between Thomas pt and the powerboat. Will advise on the radio.

david henry

Member I
e-38 race

Greetings to all who attended the rendezvous in Shaw Bay. It was a pleasure meeting all of you in person, especially Max and Hobie. Special thanks to Ted for organizing the event and congratulations on his mostly single-handed win. Chris, could you send me your email address or a link to your rigging website? Best wishes to all and enjoy the rest of the season.

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
We had a great time...

We had a great time too! What a fantastic weekend.
Special thanks to Ted & his friends with that beautiful RC boat!:egrin:
Chris

Attachments

• Ericson 38 Regatta 2007005.jpg
    Ericson 38 Regatta 2007005.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Ericson 38 Regatta 2007006.jpg
    Ericson 38 Regatta 2007006.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 48
  • Ericson 38 Regatta 2007010.jpg
    Ericson 38 Regatta 2007010.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 60
  • Ericson 38 Regatta 2007018.jpg
    Ericson 38 Regatta 2007018.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 63
  • Ericson 38 Regatta 2007020.jpg
    Ericson 38 Regatta 2007020.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 47

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
more pictures...

Attachments

• Ericson 38 Regatta 2007027.jpg
    Ericson 38 Regatta 2007027.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Ericson 38 Regatta 2007042.jpg
    Ericson 38 Regatta 2007042.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Ericson 38 Regatta 2007031.jpg
    Ericson 38 Regatta 2007031.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 49
  • Ericson 38 Regatta 2007039.jpg
    Ericson 38 Regatta 2007039.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Ericson 38 Regatta 2007072.jpg
    Ericson 38 Regatta 2007072.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 59

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
a few more...

Attachments

• Ericson 38 Regatta 2007089.jpg
    Ericson 38 Regatta 2007089.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 59
  • Ericson 38 Regatta 2007075.jpg
    Ericson 38 Regatta 2007075.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Ericson 38 Regatta 2007063.jpg
    Ericson 38 Regatta 2007063.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 56
  • Ericson 38 Regatta 2007052.jpg
    Ericson 38 Regatta 2007052.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 57

John Butler

Member II
We also enjoyed the first annual Chesapeake Bay Ericson Race and Rendezvous. Thank you Ted for setting it up and congratulations on winning the race! Thank you Chris for providing the awards to make the race event complete. It was great to meet fellow Ericson owners. That was really something to have 5 Ericson 38's rafted up with a 6th anchored nearby (not to mention the other Ericson 3x anchored nearby). What great sailing weather we had, too! It would be great to have more Ericson owners in the area join us next year.

John
s/v Red Rover (1982 E38)

Last edited:

vbenn

Member III
Race and raft up

After a near collision with the red and green can, we got off to a late start, but had fun hopelessly trying to close the gap. Our elapsed time of 5hr13min is our standard for improvement when we meet again.

Thanks Ted for arranging this and allowing us to finally connect names with faces. Our only regret is not having enough time to spend with the rest of the group.

Vince & Beth
Wild Blue