2006 Strictly Sail Show

stbdtack

Member III
Next to Chevys across the Estuary is Pasta Pelican, mid-priced italian, waterfront dining. My Yacht Club (Encinal, across the estuary) can seat any number if anybody is interested. www.encinal.org

If its not raining I will probably go out saturday or sunday if I can find some crew.....:egrin:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Incoming!

We will be at the show, all things being equal, at about noon tomorrow. General plan is to meet with some Olson sailors for a brew/meal after the show on Thurs and we have a bbq get-together with a live aboard friend nearby Fri evening. Sat is a sail with Charlie on his great-looking O-34.
If all of you have been exchanging emails for doing this and other social stuff and want to include us -- my cell phone # as of mid-day tomorrow and for the rest of the week is 503.880.8514.
Cheers,
Loren in PDX

corkhead

Julian Ashton
anthing planned for friday happy hour???
sounds like some have plans, but perhaps the rest could meet at ??
for a beer or two 5pm ish?
julian

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"a good time was had by all"

Another April, another good sail on the Bay!
I spent Thursday and Friday at the show, and still missed a number of interesting boat "tours." Friends that went Saturday said it was very crowded, so I am glad that was the day previously reserved for sailing.
I made contact with some Olson 34 friends and had a excellent "three hour tour" on Saturday afternoon on Charlie's boat. Wind was over 15 and sometimes more like 20, and we got out past the Golden Gate a little bit. Sailing is just awesome on SF Bay! :)
He put up a full main and 90% jib, both cut for local conditions. Never got the rail under -- boat drove like velvet. :clap:

He said he did not get any Ericson contacts to go sailing, and no one else called my cell number. Everyone was probably busy or had scheduling conflicts.

If there was a get-together Friday night I would have had to miss it anyway, as our YC group visiting the show from Portland had all agreed to to go out to dinner together. We ate at the Oakland YC, and what a nice bunch of folks!

So much to do and see... so little time...
:)

All the best,
Loren
(back home in Porland, OR)

Last edited:

Dan Hayes

Member III
We got too busy, too...

I came up on Friday, and it seemed like the weekend just flew by. Did a bit of volunteer standing around on the Orange Coast College boats, and that ate up quite a bit of the time. I meant to give Loren a call, even wrote down his cell number, but never could firm up a time to meet... also wanted to meet Guy, and hear some stories about cruising.

There certainly were a lot of super boats there. My favorites were the Tartan 34, and the Sabre 38. I think they're the closest to what Ericson would be building today - well designed, well built, and very pretty in and out.

I'll have to catch you guys next time around, or we'll have to do a huge Rendevous... I recommend Southern California - ya'll have to bring your boats down and enjoy the weather!

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
really big shew

We got up there Friday night....last minute plan SF to go to the show. So we did the thing with the Saturdays & Sunday crowds. As far as new boats, we weren't too impressed overall. The Santa Cruz 53 would probably be our choice...thinking big. The Alaska Eagle of Orange Coast College was an impressive vessel. Yankee is a floating museum, launched by the 1906 SF earthquake. It was interesting to see. Otherwise, a lot of H***ers, B & C boats, etc. One BIG H***er named "Breaking the Wind," or something equally crude.
The best thing I got from the show, for $20, an LED replacement type lamp bulb, 1156 type, single contact. It has 18 LEDs & seems pretty bright. Mastlight is the name of the outfit & they have a web site. They have various colors & applications. If I like it, I will buy more of them (no relationship - I am only a customer).
Keith & Lise
E-33

Dan Hayes

Member III
I agree with you about the LED lights - best thing at the show. I got their flyer, and as soon as I check out the lights on my boat, I plan to order new LED's from Mastlight, or whoever they are. If you get them and install them, let us know how they work out.

It looks like they will last forever, what a great idea for a mast light (and running lights, too). Plus, you don't have to replace the whole fixture - most of those I have seen have been really expensive.

Anybody else try them yet?

boatboy

Inactive Member
LED Lights

I also saw some LED lights that I was extremely impressed with, but different from the ones you are mentioning. These were interior replacement lights that actually have a color temperature very close to incandescent lights, and also have a very wide dispersion without the need of lenses. They cost $40 each, so they aren't cheap -- but they are the first led lights I have gotten excited about for use inside the cabin. After testing one, I went ahead and ordered 5 more to replace all our standard lights. These were being shown by Hot Wire and are called the Sensibulb.