2005 NW Gathering of the Vikings

Dave G

Member II
Wow what a great time. If you didn't make to Port Townsend this last weekend for the Northwest Rendezvous you missed out on a great time. I'm sure someone will join in with the official numbers but there were 20+ boats and a lot more like minded sailors. This was our first time attending, what a great experience. we eagerly await next years event!

Thanks to all those who made this happen, and a special thanks to Stuart and Heather for their hard work.

Dave and Kathy Green,
E-29 Spirit
Bellingham, WA

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Two thumbs UP

Kudos to Stuart :egrin: and Heather :egrin: and Shaun :egrin: and the others :egrin: :egrin: for the preparation work, prize acquisition and great suggestions for the weekend activities. My wife Ellen and I had a terrific time and we can't wait until next year. There was simply not enough time to meet everyone and tour every boat - which means the turnout was exceptional.

We left the marina at 10:45 am. and motored our guests Kim & Jim about 10 minutes past the Point Wilson buoy - for a taste of the Strait. We reversed course and down around Double Bluff we hoisted sails and had a fun downwind run all the way to the Duwamish Head day mark in Elliott Bay.

See you around the Sound.

:cheers:

hodo

Member III
Rendevous

It was a great sight to see that many Ericsons at the same place. Jessie and I had a great time, met and made new friends,ate and drank tasty things,plus had a great down wind to Shilshloe. Monday, I did my first single hand run on the 38. Wow , what a ride to Tacoma! Left Shilshole at 9:30 am ,arrived at Chinook Landing at 1:15 pm. Reached all the way, 3 Jibes, had the motor at 1500 rpm to keep the beer cold. Thanks again for a great time at a great place, and great people. Lets do it again next year! Harold and Jessie, s/v Mischief Maker :egrin: :egrin: :devil: :cheers:

Dave G

Member II
Here is a shot of some of the great boats lined up at the dock

Attachments

• PT 2005.JPG
    PT 2005.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 427
Last edited:

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
And what about all the pictures?

If I could gather all the Viking photos that the 'Ericson family' would like to contribute, I could make a slide show, set to some cruzin' music, and cut an MPEG onto CDs for those who would like to get their's back - plus a lot more. If anyone is interested, reply and we'll figure out the best way to get your's to me. Musical background suggestions appreciated (I have Songs You Know By Heart and a couple others).

Anybody interested? We'll have to be patient, so those Vikings who are out there pillagin' right now, can get back to port. I know the Reeds (E38-200 Southern Cross) were snapping away during the sail-by. :cool:

Some samples from my lode.

Attachments

• Papillion2005.jpg
    Papillion2005.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 341
  • LightBlueStripe.jpg
    LightBlueStripe.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 334
  • 80Daves31andFairweatherFriend.jpg
    80Daves31andFairweatherFriend.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 327

Steve Swann

Member III
Digital Pictures from Port Townsend

Hey Footrope,

Send me an address and I'll send you a CD of the pictures I took.

Steve Swann
Boise, ID

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I'll send you a private message with my address. Plan to send full size pictures (original file size) and I'll adjust as required for reasonable performance. I'll send the address before the weekend.

Cheers,

mark reed

Member III
we're still grinnin'

It was so much fun to be with our fellow Vikings in PT a couple of weeks ago! We had a wonderful time and were happy to meet y'all. I think we set a new record with 16 people in the cockpit on Saturday evening.

From the rendezvous, we sailed north through the San Juans and Gulf Islands, with stops at Canoe Island, Bedwell, Conover Cove, and Nanaimo, then over to Vancouver for the Jazz Festival. We sadly left the boat in Blaine and hope we will get at least one more week up there later this summer before we take her back down to Portland for the winter.

I've been out of town on business since then, but would be happy to contribute our digital photos to the collection. Let me know where and how to send them, Craig. I've got about 100 photos, 90Mb total.

Fair winds,

Mark & Vicki

Attachments

• vikings.jpg
    vikings.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 307

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks!

Mark and Vicki,

I posted a private reply with my address. I hope someone got a good picture of the Southern Cross sitting low with all those extra crew members in the cockpit. Sounds like you had a great cruise, too.

Assuming I can produce something that won't embarass anyone but myself, my plan is to offer CDs at no charge - maybe have those interested in receiving a copy pay for postage. I am assuming no one who contributes has any problem distributing to the general membership?

I could also have the file (probably an mpeg movie) posted on the site so a member could download it. I have no idea how big the file or files will be by the time I'm done. Maybe I should check into some past files. I'll look into other formats also, and check with Sean on posting large files.

Cheers,

Cory B

Sustaining Member
More photos

Heres a few pictures we took in Port Townsend. I was going to put together a nice page of all the photos we took, but never got around to it (does anybody know of a decent free/share-ware thumbnail/webpage generator?). However, if you want to wade through some uncompressed, amatuerish, and sometimes very blurry photos with no thumbnails, you can see them at http://pictures.juggernaut-tech.com/ericsonrendevous2005. Feel free to copy, steal, edit, or poke fun of anything that is there.

It was a pleasure meeting all the great people and great boats there.

Cory & Nancy
1975 Ericson 32
Fairweather Friend
Portland, OR

Attachments

• P6180169.JPG
    P6180169.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 223
  • P6180172.JPG
    P6180172.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 215
  • P6180173.JPG
    P6180173.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 224
  • P6180178.JPG
    P6180178.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 214
  • P6180191.JPG
    P6180191.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 214

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Some more NW photos...

I am finally going through the photos from our new "FinePix" camera and these are almost good enough to post.... I wish I had a better one of the De-and-Re Naming ceremony....
:)
Loren in PDX

Attachments

• Glynatwork.jpg
    Glynatwork.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 209
  • E31C comfort.jpg
    E31C comfort.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 200
  • Other Helmet Uses.jpg
    Other Helmet Uses.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 214

Mike.Gritten

Member III
Has anyone been able to upload images to the FTP site? If so, what is the drill. I have 30+ images I can upload. They are 5 Megapixels and some are fairly good. We are looking for any images (hi res) of our boat, Papillon. I can burn CD's, but the FTP site seems like a better bet if I can get it to work.

Stuart

Member II
Photos, Rendezvous 2005

Craig,
If you are not too far into producing a CD, I would like to send you our photos to include; we have about 75 from the rendezvous.

The Rendezvous Re Cap…….
Heather and I had a great time meeting and greeting, seeing friends from previous years and at last to put a person to an email address, to share a cold one and some tales. My only regret was not being able to spend more time visiting with new and old friends. Next year we want to delegate (have volunteers come forward) some of the on site duties so we can visit a little more.
We hung out for a couple of days after, resting and exploring Port Townsend. We made some interesting discoveries for next years event that will be a little different and lots of fun, more on that later.
This year we had representation from at least 33 vessels. I say representation as some flew, came by motor home or car, we even had a former Ericson owner sneak in with his Tollycraft, who we got to know quite well as they stayed for a couple of days due to mechanical problems. No sails but the great company and their large and well stocked fridge compensated.
I know I met people who came but did not fill out our list as attendees with current contact information, so representation exceed 33 vessels but I have no idea by how many. We set up our pot luck dinner with 100 chairs and I saw folks getting more chairs out. Many thanks to all of the chefs for bringing such great food, a fantastic feast it was!
How lucky we were to have champagne served by the almost newlyweds Jon & Carolyn who honored us by sharing their 35th wedding anniversary with us, what a treat! Congratulations to you both.
Thanks to all for helping me with the de-naming and re-naming of my new to me Independence now known as “Fairhaven”, with special thanks to Glyn “Love Shorts” Judson for participating and making the ceremony truly something to remember. I chose the name from a place in a past life but was then informed of a small town in Washington also called Fairhaven, we will need to visit the town next year.
At last, not to forget, thanks to all that came and participated and to those who helped with organizing activities and prizes, after all, it’s all of us who make the event!
Cheers and happy sailing to all. :egrin:
Stuart & Heather MacKenzie
North Vancouver BC

Mike.Gritten

Member III
Upload!

Hey, I was able to get the FTP site to accept my upload! It is in the "Incoming" area and is a Zip file of about 25 downsized images. Let me know if anyone wants any of the Hi Res files. There is a pretty good one of Sean! Speaking of Sean, do we need to do anything to make the files accessible to all? Enjoy....

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
It's not too late...

Stuart said:
Craig,
If you are not too far into producing a CD, I would like to send you our photos to include; we have about 75 from the rendezvous. snip

The Rendezvous Re Cap…….

Stuart & Heather,

We haven't begun the assembly, so I'll PM you my address. I have been over the two CDs that Steve and Harold sent. There are many good ones and I'm looking forward to seeing more. We're still thinking about how to organize the show.

I hope we'll be done before Thanksgiving. We've got to be done by Thanksgiving.

Cheers,

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Papillon photos

Mike.Gritten said:
Hey, I was able to get the FTP site to accept my upload! It is in the "Incoming" area and is a Zip file of about 25 downsized images. Let me know if anyone wants any of the Hi Res files. There is a pretty good one of Sean! Speaking of Sean, do we need to do anything to make the files accessible to all? Enjoy....

If you can make a CD of the full size images I could use them for the "show" I will be making. Let me know and I will send you my address.

I have 2 shots of your boat. Let me know where I can send them. The full size files are 1.9 and 2.5 MB each.

Cheers,

Richard Elliott

Member III
Fairhaven

Stuart: After the rendezvous, Karen and I went to Bellingham and found a "Must Do" for you. Go to the Bellingham Marina and take the water taxi named Fairhaven to the little town of Fairhaven. Thanks again for all the hard work put in by you and Heather. Count on some of us retired folks for help next year. Dick.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
ERNW2005 Photos

I'll pull together some images (both mine and those forwarded to me by others) and put them in a zip file and put them on the ftp site - by Saturday (I also still need to burn some CDs for people who have requested them).

//sse

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Photo Categories for the "Show"

Fellow Vikings,

I'm getting excited about this project. Below are the categories and events I can think of as possible sections of the slide show. For some of the sections I have plenty of material, but for others I haven't seen any, or have only a few. The awards ceremony (part of the pot luck) and the dinghy race are two that I need more material for.

If you have pictures, digital or prints, I would love to have them for this show. I can accept ZIP files or raw photos (.JPG, .BMP formats) in e-mails if you have high-speed Internet access. If you have prints, or copies, I can scan them. I will send back prints after I scan them if you like.

Sail by - groups of Boats
Solo shots - Boats
Interior Shots - Boats
Dock walking
De-Naming and Re-Naming Stuart and Heather's boat
People
Vikings - people dressed up and the costume parts
Pot luck
Awards Ceremony
Post Pot-Luck Gatherings
Dinghy Races/Racers
Brion Toss Rigging Talk
Port Townsend
Point Hudson Marina

Rather than fill the PM Inbox I'll give everyone my address. To send something (CD, photos) to me via snail mail, use this address:

Craig Davis
28234 15th Ave S
Federal Way, WA 98003

E-mail me at footrope@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance! (I'll get the show done before next year's event)

Last edited:

Stuart

Member II
photos

Craig
All looks good, I will send a cd on Tuesday. Just got back from businees trip and going sailing till monday.
Cheers
Stuart