200 vs. 300 and Plus (+) model info?

Hi,

Thanks again for the great advice! Would anyone be able to point me to resources on this website that explain the difference between a 200 and 300 model or I guess what upgrades come with a plus model? I used the search function and picked around the Resources tab, perhaps I need to search individual post topics? Thanks very much for any help you can provide.

Robert

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
SailboatData.Com is a good place to get basic drawings, stats, and years quickly. Detailed info and reviews are a little harder to find, but there's plenty of info here. Using Google to search the site helps.

I've been trying to find some info from Ericson on the design intent of the 25+, 28+, and 30+. They're all great boats (I owned a 25+ for 6 years), but they seem to be a step below the 32-3, 35-3, and 38s. It might just be my misguided perception, but it would be interesting to read about how the company thought of the two different designs.

SailboatData.Com is a good place to get basic drawings, stats, and years quickly. Detailed info and reviews are a little harder to find, but there's plenty of info here. Using Google to search the site helps.

I've been trying to find some info from Ericson on the design intent of the 25+, 28+, and 30+. They're all great boats (I owned a 25+ for 6 years), but they seem to be a step below the 32-3, 35-3, and 38s. It might just be my misguided perception, but it would be interesting to read about how the company thought of the two different designs.
Thanks very much! Google definatelty helps and looking at each boat in Saiboat.data.com side-by-side works great, thanks for pointing me in that Direction. Do you feel like the "step below" factor extends to boat construction and seaworthyness? Thanks again!

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
It's difficult to speak to seaworthiness and I don't think I have enough experience to offer any valuable input there. Construction is different though. my 25+ and the two 28+ I've viewed were constructed with more of a pan style construction where the 32,35, and 38s are more stick built. I don't think pan construction is bad, but I have found it more difficult to work on. Especially routing cables and mounting hardware. Stick built boats are more susceptible to water ingress damage. Pan built boats, including my 25+, have a different feel to them. The fiberglass is cold to the touch, brighter due to the gelcoat, and doesn't dampen sound as much as the stick built boats. I have heard that pan built boats can offer more stiffness.

I've also noticed the tabbing is better on the larger boats. My 25+ had a few patches of tabbing along the bulkheads and other various places where furniture met the hull. On my 35-3 tabbing goes the whole length of the joint with only spaces at the corners. Ericson even removed the outer veneer from the plywood along the joint to ensure a more solid bond on the 35, but I think the tabbing was applied directly over the top in the 25+.

As far as the electrical systems go, my 25+ had 4 light fixtures in the whole boat. The 35-3 seems to have one above almost any area you would need light. It isn't perfect, but you can tell someone really thought it out on the 35 where the 25+ had just enough to get by. The 25 and one of the 28s I looked at didn't have shore power installed, but every 32,35, and 38 seem to have come from the factory with a proper system. My 25 didn't even have an electric bilge pump until I installed one. I'm not sure about the 32, but all 35s and 38s I've looked at had electric diaphragm bilge pumps mounted in the engine compartment (not a cheap addition).

This all may just be a factor of size and price point. Now that almost 40 years have past, the price point isn't all that different in some cases, so jumping up to a 32-3 is a lot more friendly on the pocket book than when they were first made. I hope that helps out a little and other owners add to the conversation with their experience

Thanks for the great info!! I apologize for not posting a proper reply yet, I am away from home and returning tomorrow and will re-engage then. Thanks Again!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
1980s Boats named "-3" have the head forward, boats called "-200" have the head aft. There's more to it than that, but the suffixes regard interior layout.

A look through this thread gets at some of the differences in a roundabout way. Consensus is neither is "better," just different.

Ericson naming conventions are eccentric, but somebody here can answer any question about them. And only here:).

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
This all may just be a factor of size and price point. Now that almost 40 years have past, the price point isn't all that different in some cases, so jumping up to a 32-3 is a lot more friendly on the pocket book than when they were first made.
You have to allow for inflation, but it's interesting to compare 80's prices to today's dollar.
Our boat was said by the broker to have sold for about an even 90K when new in 1988. It had a lot of options, I should note.

Today, per one online calculator, that is about $220K. I believe that the E-32 was similar in price then, give or take. Lot more teak in the interior, so perhaps more $.

You can buy a good sailing, albeit unrestored 32-3, nowadays for around 40 to 50K. Neglected ones for 25K to 30K, and then there are the gross fixer-uppers, and sellers-in-a-hurry. The market price spread is pretty wide. Heck, a well maintained E-32-2 might fetch 35K or more from a knowledgable buyer.

Readers of my blog will note that we put a lot of our labor and some significant money into our complete re-fit last year.
I will never use the word "invested" for that money, tho ! :) Our time, OTOH, was indeed very well spent during a pandemic.
And, we do not go on ship cruises or play golf or drive classic cars. We gave up skiing when we bought our first sailboat in the late 70's. I note that a lot of the owners here may have made some similar choices in their lives. Seems like they are happy, too!
:egrin:

Thanks again for the info. This is exactly the kind of stuff I was thinking of, in terms of possible differences between models. With Cape Dory construction is consistant throughout size range, I think at least up to the 36. Of course there is a renagade Cape Dory 25 that was not designed by Carl Alberg out there (people love these boats but I thumb my nose:), an Intrepid Iline, some MK IIs, and then a number of solid motor yatchs. But, the standard Cape Dory design can be counted on throughout the size spectrum. Thanks for the all info on the 25 and 28. I have scheduled appointments to see a 28+, a 32-3 with a wing keel, and I am trying to see a 32-2. This is what's available near me at the time. All three will need to repowed at some point in the next 5-10 years I think. So, I am keeping that in mind on price. This dynamic may require to me to purchase a smaller boat than I want, but I am day dreaming about the 32-3.

You have to allow for inflation, but it's interesting to compare 80's prices to today's dollar.
Our boat was said by the broker to have sold for about an even 90K when new in 1988. It had a lot of options, I should note.

Today, per one online calculator, that is about $220K. I believe that the E-32 was similar in price then, give or take. Lot more teak in the interior, so perhaps more $.

You can buy a good sailing, albeit unrestored 32-3, nowadays for around 40 to 50K. Neglected ones for 25K to 30K, and then there are the gross fixer-uppers, and sellers-in-a-hurry. The market price spread is pretty wide. Heck, a well maintained E-32-2 might fetch 35K or more from a knowledgable buyer.

Readers of my blog will note that we put a lot of our labor and some significant money into our complete re-fit last year.
I will never use the word "invested" for that money, tho ! :) Our time, OTOH, was indeed very well spent during a pandemic.
And, we do not go on ship cruises or play golf or drive classic cars. We gave up skiing when we bought our first sailboat in the late 70's. I note that a lot of the owners here may have made some similar choices in their lives. Seems like they are happy, too!
:egrin:
Hi Loren, Thanks for jumping in. Ya, those are the prices I am seeing. My thought is I should also budget to repower soon, maybe 5-10 years. The fleet is aging so. Perhaps I can find a model with the job already done. I am seeing a lot of boats that have been well maintained but the engines have high hours and look tired. But with Ericson I feel like it would be a good (not investment, lol). After you would have a worn in, but seaworthy sailboat with a reliable powerplant. Thanks again!

1980s Boats named "-3" have the head forward, boats called "-200" have the head aft. There's more to it than that, but the configuration regards interior layout.

A look through this thread gets at some of the differences in a roundabout way. Consensus is neither is "better," just different.

Ericson naming conventions are eccentric, but somebody here can answer any question about them. And only here:).
Thanks Christian, super helpful!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
After you would have a worn in, but seaworthy sailboat with a reliable powerplant.
Believe me, changing from a running-but-tired '88 Universal to a new Betamarine in 2018, was "worth it" --- whatever that means!
:)
It is like a "reset" for the whole drive train.

Michael Edwards

Member II
Hi Robert,
we have owned our E 32 for 24 years, and she is a terrific boat for local coastal sailing. We previously had Catalina 22 and 28, which were good boats, but had their short comings. If we were younger, we would go for the E38. Especially for the ICW and beyond.
From a practical point of view the E 32 provides overnight and week long outings very nicely. But the boat does not have enough interior volume for extended travel. We always place well in the Ocracoke Regattas and Pamlico races. Bruce King designed to be stiff in a breeze; if a strong gust catches you, the rudder looses traction and she heads up. Never washed her windows like a Catalina. And I single hand her a lot.
We have upgraded AnnaDor quite a bit over the years, ie, propane stove, TV, central heat and ac, skylight, and electronics. Creatures comforts are important to the Ships’ Master (she lets me call myself captain). All this said because you don’t want to “wish” for a bigger boat. Well we always want what is just out of reach. ARRRRRH!!!
We are getting ‘long of tooth’. Make me an offer.