1989 38-200 waste and water tank location

e30plus

I recently purchased a 1989 Ericson 38-200 and have a question about the waste and water tank location. The waste tank is located in the forward part of the lazarette next to the bulkhead. The water tank is located under the lazarette floor, which can be removed by removing the screws that hold it down. The hot water heater is located on the lazarette floor. To access the water tank it would be necessary to remove the hot water heater. (see the attached photos). Is this the way it came from the builder or has a previous owner done some re-engineering?

Attachments

• Tanks1.jpg
    Tanks1.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 91

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Might be original.
That corroded hot water tank shell looks even worse than the one I took out and threw away about a decade ago. :rolleyes:
You might want to do some de-construction in that area, as you have hinted at.

While the original Ronco plastic holding tank will probably last forever, all of the hoses are overdue for replacement. Leaks and permeation are very unpleasant.

BTW, I replaced our original tank with an all-SS tank and shell. Nowadays there are composite tanks available also. Those 80's tanks usually had an aluminum inner tank, and it can regularly contribute a powdery oxide throughout the drinking water system.

u079721

Contributing Partner
Yup, that's the way it came from the factory. And boy that is one corroded hot water tank. You also usually see them with a "Not a Step" sign on top of the hot water tanks to keep you from crushing it any further.

e30plus

Thanks for the info. The hot water heater is my next project. Since I live in Florida, my first project was to install air conditioning. I put a 16000 btu Webasto under the v-berth. The waste system also needs attention. Went you open the lazarette there is some order from the tank area.
Mike