1987 Ericson 32 Will 6V Batteries/Fit?

Maine Sail

Member III
Hi All,

I am doing some work on a customers E-32 and forget to measure the inside height of the factory fiberglass battery tray under the quarter berth and in front of the fuel tank. This is not a 32-200 just the regular 32.

He needs two new batteries and I want to give him the option of some GC2 sized 6V golf cart batteries vs. the group 24's that will fit the box. The base of the tray on this boat is just a tad to small for group 27's. Need to pick them up on the way to the boat tomorrow morning. Hopefully someone knows or I'll just have to measure then go get the batts.....:)

pick

Member II
I have a group 24 starting battery and a group 27 in that area. I think the box may have been modified.. can't remember. I also have two more group 27s located on the starboard side next to the waste bin just in front of the cockpit locker. All of this was done by the previous owner. In fact there were group 31's there when I got the boat.

bknight365

Member I
I just measured the molded in battery holder. They are sized for two group 24's. The cover is too short for 6V.

I found the paper where I jotted down the dimensions are:

11 1/4" x 7 3/4" for each battery. The long sides are mated with a 2"-3" gap between. The well is 10" deep.

Last edited:

tadslc

Member III
I think your going to be an inch or two too low in the molded in battery box, not sure of the exact height measurement but my group 24's don't have much, if any, extra headroom. I had toyed with the idea of cutting the box out but never went farther than that.

From my inquiries, owners that have installed the 6V batteries do so in the seat locker in front of the chart table.

Will be interested to figure out what you come up with.