1987 Ericson 32-3 Holding Tank Problem

gulfcoaster

Member III
I went to turn on the a/c last Friday evening and noticed a "head odor" in the V berth. I saw some discolored water seaping out under the cabinetry in the V berth. I immediately moved the port V berth cushion and pulled the cover off the holding tank and noticed urine along the bottom front of the holding tank area. I took paper towels and wiped around the top and bottom fittings and could not find any leaks. I wiped up all visible leaks and still saw seepage along the floor and inside along the tank base. We went to the pump out station and removed about 4 g. of urine and the leakage stopped. I'm assuming the tank is cracked somewhere along the bottom. Is there anyone out there who could offer some feedback regarding this matter. Also, if a new tank is needed, what model/make is it so I can order a replacement for it. Oh yeah...Is this thing tough to get unfastened and lifted out? I'll be nervously waiting for responses. My overboard pump-out valve is also frozen shut. I never used it and we've owned our #713 for 12 yrs. We still made our 3 day Memorial Day trip.. Buckets can come in handy! Oh yeah, the tank appears to be plastic and is painted flat black.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
just a thought...

Before you replace the tank, maybe it's worth adding a bit of food coloring to the tank. It may help you to determine if the tank is cracked or one of the hose connections has come loose, which may be an easier fix.
Let us know what you find.
Frank

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The stock Ronco holding tank in our '88 boat was rotomolded in a black plastic color. This is different than their water tanks which are molded out with an opaque off-white plastic material.
When I spec'd out a larger H.T., Ronco made that one up with the black material. Not sure of my facts, but believe that they nowadays make the H.T. with a thicker wall section, or maybe it just seems a bit heavier and thicker.
IF you end with a new tank, do have an inspection port added - easy and cheap when starting out new.

Once you deconstruct the area around your tank, somewhere on the top or side will be the part number.
All this trivia is predicated on a perceived need to replace the original tank. :confused:

Plan B: Now if the problem is a leak around a hose connection, especially the bottom one(s) for the pump out, you need to figure out if it's the hose, the barb fitting, or the welded-in threaded fitting. If the latter, you may need a new tank anyway. :mad:
Further, be sure that all the fittings and hoses are well supported and that none are putting stress on the tank connections -- over time any material can fracture if continuously under stress.
"Sh_t Happens"

You have all our sympathies. Most of us that have owned our boats a long time have been through a head/h.t./pump out rebuild. Not fun.
:rolleyes:
We'll gladly give you advice and encouragement.... but from a safe distance!

I have an older thread here on the holding tank and hose replacement project on our boat, and sincerely hope that I do not ever have to do that again.

Best,
Loren

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
The tank may not be cracked at the bottom but rather closer to the top, and only leaks when the contents reach that level. This is what happened to my tank; a crack along one of the corners in the upper 1/3 of the tank. I was able to seal it with some fiberglass cloth and epoxy, but since then I keep the tank empty unless I absolutely need to use it when out sailing, and then I pump out right when I return. This also keeps any odors at bay. The plan is to eventually replace the tank and all the hoses, but since I keep the tank empty that project is at the bottom of my list...

gulfcoaster

Member III
Thanks for the advice.

I intend to pull the tank this Friday and inspect it for leaks, etc. I'll then look for the model number as well. Anybody have a location or phone number for the manufacturer?

Glyn Judson

Busted!

Loren and all, I was trying to keep that a secret but I guess all the world now knows. As soon as I saw the spacing, I knew someone would catch it and if anyone, you. ; - ) Glyn

gulfcoaster

Member III
Holding Tank Update

I pulled the tank out Friday. The top two hoses came off with out too much effort. The two lower hoses were a different story. There were two 90 degree fittings screwed into the tank with the two hoses pointing straight up. I could only get one hand down on the hoses to pull them off the fittings. Between the heat and smell I thought I was going to pass out. After struggling for 30 min. I said a prayer and they both pulled out. Only problem was the elbows pulled off the threads in the tank and stayed on the hoses. The tank wasn't completely empty and the u know what started to ooze out. I managed to pull the tank out and put it in a big garbage bag. I then had to take a sponge and bucket and sop up 1 inch of contents from the tank compartment. One would think that hole would have been waterproof. NOT! Some of it oozed thru openings under the V berth. Water, soap, simple green got most of that out. One of the two lower elbows turned rather freely so I believe that may be the problem. I didn't have the courage to go back in and yank the hoses off the elbows. I'll do that next week. My dock experts said to heat the hoses to get them off the elbows. They also said to use teflon tape and re-use the fittings. My concern is this. Assuming the leak is this loose fitting, how do I support the elbow when pressing the new hose back on w/o breaking it off the threads? Any "expert" feedback would be appreciated. I intend to clean the tank today and duct tape the two lower fittings and fill the tank with soapy water and check for cracks/leaks, etc. I also intend to add a large yard bag to surround the tank to guard against future leaks.

bknight365

Member I
I replaced the head / holding tank hoses this spring (1985 E32-III). Similar 90 degree fittings at the bottom of the holding tank. They were a real bear to get off - a lot of swearing and cursing. I too was worried that I wouldn't be able to reinstall them. Turns out they went back on easy. I had some new hoses - these went on great. One hose (tank to deck pump-out) was reused, but it wasn't too bad to reattach to the tank. Best of luck!

pvajko

Member I
I used this sophisticated equipment to heat the hoses before I put them back on. It's a 60W bulb, works great even with a cheap pocket inverter (I'm on a mooring, no shore power for a heat gun) when pushed into the end of the hose.

2012-06-10 12.18.18.jpg

gulfcoaster

Member III
1987 32-3 Holding Tank Update

Finaly got enough nerve after 2 weeks to remove 90 degree fittings from the discharge hoses. I took them home and screwed them into the discharge fittings and one leaked. After looking closer I discovered there was a 1/4 diameter split in the welded in threaded fitting where it changes to the flat welded on part. I tried to remove the fitting with no luck. I intend to call Ronco and replace the whole thing. I agree with Loren, this is gonna be a one shot deal. More to come.

gulfcoaster

Member III
Tank Update

One of the two discharge welded fittings was cracked half way around the fitting. Cld Ronco, t/w Rich Gray, ordered a new B173 tank for $100.37. I'll add more when I receive the new one and install it..Wish me luck.

gulfcoaster

Member III
Holding tank update

Got notification from USPS our new tank was shipped from Ca. on the 6th. Hopefully I'll have it installed by next weekend. More to follow.

gulfcoaster

Member III
The Damn Thing Is In.!!

I placed the tank back in its place 7/28. I added vasoline to the 90 degree elbows to make it easier to press the discharge hoses back on. 3 1/2 hrs later I was done. I cussed and prayed then cussed some more. I ended up slitting the outter rubber on one hose 1/2 inch to get it on the elbow. I'm cautiously optimistic at this point. The problem was getting enough down pressure on the hoses to connect them properly. The double hose clamps are in place. Wish me luck..