1987 E34 mast wanted

Odelay

Member II
How Much does a new Mast cost?

Trying to find out what it would cost to replace the mast on my Ericson 34.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Looking to replace the mast on my Ericson 34. Used or new possibly.
thanks!

Taking you at your word, you have no original spar section? (Sometimes a bent spar can be sleeved.)

My first choice to build a new one would be Buzz Ballenger.
http://www.ballengerspars.com

I have not yet heard a complaint about his company's work.

Did the old mast fall down? Insurance check $$ in hand? !
:0

Loren

Odelay

Member II
The mast is still standing. I am mostly curious to the cost of an upgrade vs. refurbish/paint.

If anyone has replaced a mast can you tell me what it ended up costing?

i have asked for a few quotes but still waiting for responses.
:)

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If your mast is OK, it's OK. A new one is boggling expensive. Sounds like the issue is cosmetic.

If it's anodized, you can probably get it back to 80 percent right with a Ballenger polishing product ($29).

If it's painted, a boatyard repaint is likely in the $4000-8,000 range. Lights, wiring, rigging fixes on top of that.

I wouldn't hesitate to take on the paint job myself, which would cost very little relatively, but the logistics -- pulling the spar, a place to work -- are impossible for most of us.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The mast is still standing. I am mostly curious to the cost of an upgrade vs. refurbish/paint.

If anyone has replaced a mast can you tell me what it ended up costing?

i have asked for a few quotes but still waiting for responses.
:)

I would start with the best in the NW.
Contact Brion Toss,
http://briontoss.com

He graciously put on rigging seminars are two recent Ericson rendezvous gatherings at Port Townsend.
He knows your Kenyon spar and can help you determine the cost/benefits of a rebuild. My guess that a new spar would be more costly than a rebuild just due to the high cost of the extrusion and the need to change out all of the spreaders, masthead, gooseneck, etc, and etc.

Regards,
Loren

Odelay

Member II
12K for a new mast and boom with some extra's and black powder coat
Plus a couple grand for shipping from SC.

I got a quote for a repaint. If they do all the labor removing hardware reinstalling it blah blah blah.
Just the mast.
13K :jawsdown:

lnill

Member III
For my 38-200 I took all hardware off myself and stripped and sanded all the parts as well. My yard repainted for $3500 all in. Then I replaced all hardware. Probably spent another $500 on new lights, sheeve bearings, wiring, etc. labor by me was about 30 hours.

lnill

Member III
By the way, I'm not sure what others find about your yard doing work but I have found that I need to be very selective about what I ask them to do and manage very closely. I have had them spending 8 hours for 2 people ($960 in my yard) to do something I could do by myself in 2 hours. I use the mechanics for engine work beyond my comfort zone, paint guys, and anything requiring equipment like (pulling the stick). Otherwise I tend to do it myself

markvone

Sustaining Member
Black Painted Mast Refurb

My 1981 black painted mast came off the delivery truck looking pretty bad. I figured it was going to need to be painted it at some point but spending $4k + on purely cosmetic work on a $25k (maybe) boat just doesn't make economic sense. Click on the "Attachment 17707" below to see the close up BEFORE pic - which for some reason does not display.

View attachment 17707

I could see the paint on the lower 6 feet and under the mainsail cover at the gooseneck looked like new. In the pic below I'm just starting working between the gooseneck and the lower spreaders.
attachment.php

So I decided to try and buff the paint out using MaineSail's hull gelcoat buffing guidance and materials. I didn't have my Makita buffer at the time so I did it by hand. I was amazed at the improvement.
I tried a second buff-out with the Makita two years ago but didn't have much time. I didn't get any improvement. I was looking to match the mirror shine of the "like new" sections. I tried wet sanding a section at the masthead but that just added scratches. I suspect the paint is much harder than typical paint and will require more time in the final polish and glaze phases to get to a mirror finish. As-is it is a huge improvement and I am not thinking about needing a re-paint.

If you do decide to do a re-paint, I would SERIOUSLY consider white vs black. White is much easier to deal with (like a white vs navy blue hull). It will look better for much longer and it will buff out with much less work and look closer to new as it ages. It is also much cooler to climb if it is hot and sunny out. Maybe not as sexy looking depending on your opinion.

Mark

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1380.jpg
    IMG_1380.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_1381.jpg
    IMG_1381.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_2229.jpg
    IMG_2229.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 276

Odelay

Member II
Woah that looks good

Mine is coroded in places and the paints bubbling and peeling off. So I would have to At least do touch ups