1987 E32-3 Inst Pod Selection / Install help.....

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
Anyone have advise on selection / install of a 1987 E32-3 inst pod at the wheel? Is there a mdl
of NavPod that would work for three inst, a tac, a Garmin Map ( the wide one) and a garmin auto steering
head..aprox 4"x4"?.... We would like to mount in one pod..right above the wheel...thanx !!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"I sketched a custom acrylic box to use a Garmin bracket like that of the GPS. Santa Monica Plastics made it for $140. Both instruments rest on a Star Board and Trex platform backed by a teak cup holder. It works fine. You can also use wood, glue-weld your own plastic, repurpose a 5” electrical junction box, have Maine Sail make you one or buy a nav pod for that clunky, expensive look."

Attachments

• P70 and 50s - Copy.jpg
    P70 and 50s - Copy.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 76

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Mounting cautions.

First read the manufacturer's minimum 'compass safe' distance for whatever make and model you are installing. Then check the case on the plotter for a powerful permanent magnet holding the chart chip door closed (those that have this were designed for a more distant dashboard mounting on power boats.
We found a make and model of new plotter with a friction catch, when we up graded instruments a couple years ago.

I also removed the ss guard and had it extended about a foot so that there was room under the arch for a 9' plotter. Admittedly our other sailing instruments are bulkhead-mounted... they might be a bit handier - at times- at the helm, but there's no room for them there. Our AP control head is beside the helm on the combing, so is easily viewable/reachable from the helm.

I have some pix in an older thread here.

And here is a thread with a nice home built holder.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?2391-Instrument-Consoles

Loren

Last edited:

MMLOGAN

Member III
Home made pod

Our home rolled solution below. We were able to move some of the engine instruments up from the original location. Added the ram mic and a light on the bottom to illuminate the table and the forward area of the cockpit. This was cast in fiberglass. I could not find a manufactured pod that would accommodate our instruments in the configuration we wanted.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20150503_125714sml.jpg
    20150503_125714sml.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 20150503_125755.jpg
    20150503_125755.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 82