1987 E-34 E measurement for mainsail

Odelay

Member II
We recently had to get a new stack pack (new to the boat in 2014) and mainsail (several years old) made due to a boat fire caused by Christmas lights.

Our sailmaker who did a new main for us and redid the stack pack clearly did not measure properly the second time around and as you can see from the pictures below the mainsail and the stack pack are much shorter to the back of the boom. There is now a 19inch space.

We're having trouble finding the E measurement to the Ericson 34' thats not the Ericson 34-200, to verify if they are different and if so by how much. Somehow the sailmaker used the correct E measurement when he did our initial stack pack in 2014 but a different one with a new main and stack pack in April.

Does anyone know the E measurement for a 1987 34' or does anyone know what the measurement is from the white stripe to the end of the boom. Ours is now painted over.

OR does anyone have experience with disputing credit card charges on faulty work.

Attachments

• IMG_3357.jpg
    IMG_3357.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 99

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One bit of sail making trivia that I recall from my time of representing a large loft is that the sail maker never makes a move until the actual boat measurement is done and double-checked.
No matter how sincere the effort to provide data from a brochure or another helpful owner, nothing (!) trumps the info from the actual boat.

Loren

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
This is the original stack pack he made for us.

I can see why you would want to dispute that charge.
When the sailmaker looks at these two pictures (on one of the larger sailing sites on the 'net) he should see that something went wrong, and want to correct it... I would think. :rolleyes:

Loren

Odelay

Member II
Yeah you would think
Hes admitting to having to replace the cover but still arguing about the sail length.
So insane!

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
We're having trouble finding the E measurement to the Ericson 34' thats not the Ericson 34-200, to verify if they are different and if so by how much. Somehow the sailmaker used the correct E measurement when he did our initial stack pack in 2014 but a different one with a new main and stack pack in April.

From the owner's manual:

attachment.php

The 1980s vintage E-34 is sometimes referred to as the E-34-200 because it has an aft cabin. There was never a boat built with that designation. Some other E boats of that vintage do use the "-200" designation for the aft cabin layout, the E-32-200 and E-38-200. The 70s vintage E-34 had either an "R" or "T" suffix.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_42 Jun. 22 10.03.jpg
    ScreenHunter_42 Jun. 22 10.03.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 120

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yikes. Is it a Doyle franchise? If they measured this shouldn't really be a dispute. Go up the chain.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
My experience disputing merchandise purchases with credit cards is limited, but I have found my case has always been made stronger when the merchant has possession of the merchandise in question.

In agreeing to address the stack pack situation it is crystal clear what the mistake was and that it was their error. I would suggest giving the sailmaker a deadline to fix the problem and tell him up front that if the sail is not fixed by then that he will find it on his doorstep with the credit card charge reversed and documentation sent to the credit card company that the sail is in his possession.

You might want to start gathering quotes from other sailmakers now as additional negotiation leverage...and to minimize in-season down time. If you hang onto the sail long enough the sailmaker may have a case to the credit card company that you have in fact accepted the product.

This sounds like service you'd get from a sweatshop sail importer. I'm guessing you aren't paying sweatshop prices on this.

Odelay

Member II
Thanks everyone.
My wife and I leaned on him some more and he finally came around to saying he made it wrong.
He promised a new sail and stack pack in 3 weeks.

He cut the foot and stack pack to 12'.

I am not sure how he came up with that measurement, but he assured us the new sail will be 12'10" and the stack pack at 13'4"