1987 E-32-3 Rub Rail Problem

gulfcoaster

Member III
I noticed some holes along the top of the starboard rub rail. Does anyone know where Ericson obtained these parts? Is there any way to fill or repair the metal rub rail?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
There ought to be a rub rail club. We would be automatically members.

The original aluminum extrusion is no longer made anymore, anywhere, or anyhow. It is either replace the whole thing, or go below and open a bottle in the wine rack provided.

Some folks choose the various form of rubber rail, with out without inserts. I went with a Taco product.

Details here.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I had a look at the Taco products and noticed a more durable-looking ss version.
http://tacomarine.com/category/ss_hollow_back/Stainless-Steel-Hollow-Back-Rub-Rail

I wonder if this would cover the seam in the same manor? What I do not know is the cross section dimension of the original alum. part.

'Plan B' might be to do what was done locally over a decade ago on an Ericson 34 -- the edge was glassed over, ground smith, and finished slick, and painted with LPU to blend right into the cove stripe.

Loren

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The biggest Taco SS hollowback rails might well work--for me, it was a question of looks and proportions. The rub rail has no utility, it's just there to cover the flange. Kinda annoying: somebody dings you, it doesn't hurt the boat, just ruins the expensive rub rail.

Here's the trick for anybody considering the many options: order a section from West Marine. If it doesn't work over the flange, just return it. I did, twice.

Nobody else I know of will ship you a 20-foot long anything for free, and then take it back with a smile, no charge.

By the way, I still have one three-foot piece of the original rail in good condition, meaning only a few scratches. I already gave one other section to another member. If three feet solves the problem, drop me a private message.

I found this picture showing OE rub rail dimensions. (There's no flange at the bow, but elsewhere it sticks out about 3/8ths inch, which is the controlling dimension for rail choices.)

Rubrail profile dimensions 1985 Ericson 32-3.jpg

Last edited:

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
The biggest Taco SS hollowback rails might well work--for me, it was a question of looks and proportions. The rub rail has no utility, it's just there to cover the flange. Kinda annoying: somebody dings you, it doesn't hurt the boat, just ruins the expensive rub rail.

Here's the trick for anybody considering the many options: order a section from West Marine. If it doesn't work over the flange, just return it. I did, twice.

Nobody else I know of will ship you a 20-foot long anything for free, and then take it back with a smile, no charge.

By the way, I still have one three-foot piece of the original rail in good condition, meaning only a few scratches. I already gave one other section to another member. If three feet solves the problem, drop me a private message.

I found this picture showing OE rub rail dimensions. (There's no flange under the end caps, but everywhere else it sticks out about 3/8ths inch, which is the controlling dimension for rail choices.)

attachment.php

Is that your boat Christian? Looks a little cracked in there..

Last edited by a moderator:

gulfcoaster

Member III
Just a few pin holes..

I did some on line research and found something like a rub on stick to repair aluminum. The rub rail isn't dented and has few scratches. I'm going to Home Depot to see what I can come up with. Thanks for all the feedback.