1986 38-200 Diesel Exhaust Hose Pathway

FrankZ

Member I
Hello Everyone,

I've been away quite a long time, but I'm back with a quick question. Does anyone have a diagram of the pathway for the large exhaust hose on my Universal Atomic Engine. I know it runs unseen under the sole near the shower sump basin, then disappears behind the cabin ladder and reappears in the starboard lazarette. I've got a leak somewhere in the hose, backing up exhaust fumes in the engine compartment and finally strangling the air intake and killing the engine. At least that's what a mechanic told me today. Though to tell you the truth the heavy black, sooty smoke accumulating in the engine compartment seemed a bit too much for a leak.

Any exhaust diagrams available or other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Frank Z

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Frank, that is likely the exhaust riser that has rusted out(very common). Those hoses generally last a long time unless they get a rub.

FrankZ

Member I
Exhaust Riser?

Tim,

Is the "exhaust riser" what the exhaust hose is attached to in the engine compartment? I hate to be so dim, but I don't have my manual handy. Is it difficult to replace? And do you know where I might find one?

Thanks in advance.

Frank Z.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Frank on the back of your engine there should be some 1.5" metal pipe that connects to a large boxy exhaust riser. From the exhaust rise there should be a large rubber hose(1.5") that leads to your water lift muffler. If you take some photos of the rear of your engine I should be able to point it out. It shouldn't be too difficult to replace but you first need to know which piece is leaking.

FrankZ

Member I
Exhaust Riser?

Tim,

I know what you're referring to. Thanks mucho. I'm gonna call a mechanic out and let him assess the leak and then handle it.

I appreciate your help very much.

fz