1984 Ericson 30+ with had water sitting in it for a long time...

Dreadpiratk

I'm looking at purchasing an 1984 Ericson 30, probably a + given the year, but the owner doesn't know. Anyway, it's an abandoned yard boat that sat neglected for years and got water in it. Decks are solid I'm told, but the interior is a mess as you can imagine. I'll have a survey done before I buy, but I have a few questions I'm hoping someone here will be wiling to answer so I can decide if I want to move forward or not.

I'm not concerned about the woodwork as refinishing it is well within my skill set, and you can sail with ugly woodwork. I am concerned about the engine. The engine was winterized before it was stored, but if it sat in the water for 2 years I'm guessing it will need to be rebuilt or replaced, is that correct? How much water would need to be in one of these boats to flood the engine? How good is access to the engine? How hard is it to pull out entirely to be rebuilt?

Any other issues standing water would cause? Other than figuring out how the water got in, of course. All the gear and electronics, cushions and sails were high and dry.

So far I love what I'm reading about these boats, the overall condition of this one seems to be solid, and it's very well equipped. The price is good as well, It may enable us to move up into a bigger/better boat then we thought with some sweat equity. This would not be my first project boat, biggest, but not first. Restoring things is what I do in my spare time, houses and cars. I'm no expert in marine diesel, but I've rebuilt my share of car engines successfully.

blueox

I have purchased two boats which had the engines both totally and partially submerged one being an a-4 the other m-25 universal.The a-4 was totally seized I filled it with marvelous mystery oil and after a few weeks it freed up and ran perfectly. That was fifteen years ago and the new owner just sailed her from rhode island to the keys. The m-25 turned over but had little compression. again mmo, runs fine today but the tranny was seized, that cost eighteen hundred with new shaft,coupler and stuffing box to replace. I wouldn't hesitate to go for it if you are the least bit mechanical and it is the boat you want and aren't afraid of lots of labor at least you will know the ins and outs of the boat when you are done!Just check the oil for water see if it will turn by hand, should be a compression release on top of valve cover .good luck Mike

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
How much water

How much water accumulated in the boat? Enough to cover the entire engine or just the lower half? Did it flood the starter and alternator? Did water flow into the dipstick tube? Was this boat located where the winter temps went blow freezing? Look for bulkhead rot in the area of the anchor well. Also look at the lower portion of any bulkheads that were saturated. Staining is only a surface problem but could mask bigger issues that will need more than refinishing. Better look harder and deeper. Probe the wood for soft spots.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Flooding

Hi,

You can also get a mechanical inspection done. I had one when I bought my boat in 2013. It should cost around $100 to $150 and it will give you the opinion of a professional diesel mechanic. It will also allow you to make an offer and back out if you don't like his report.

If the water has been above the top of the transmission, it will need to be checked also. Also any submerged wiring is suspect and should be replaced.

Dreadpiratk

Thanks for the advice. I'm working on getting answers to all the questions myself. I spoke with the marina on Friday, and I hope to hear back from them tomorrow. I would be fresh water, as the leak is from the topside, and there would have been a chance of freezing in that area, though not the hard freezes we get up here. Hopefully pictures will be forthcoming. The boat is not local to me, so I'll have to rely on the seller and surveyor. A trip out to see it isn't out of the question once things look good.