1983 Ericson 381 for sale in RI

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
1983 Ericson 381 for sale in RI

My wife and I have a child on the way, work for both of us is very much in the way of sailing and enjoying our E38. I would rather have someone else use and enjoy her than just sit there in her slip. I put her up for sale through the broker I used when I purchased her so all inquiries should go through him unless its just something technical. We have enjoyed her much but its time to downsize a bit.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1983/Ericson-4'11"-Bulb-Keel-2233383/RI/United-States

RT

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It is sad to see your boat on the market!
I know that you guys like it a lot.

Would you mind sailing it around to the Columbia River so we could have a look at it? You could take the short cut through the NW Passage...
:)

Loren

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Loren, I would love to show you the boat but the Northwest Passage is a bit longer of a trip that I would like to take.... :egrin:

Well I must admit that writing the listing info was heartbreaking. I've put a lot of my life into that boat. That said, I don't need a 38ft daysailer and trying to use a boat to a schedule doesn't really work. I'm self employed and can take time off when I want. It used to be the same for my wife but now she has a much better paying, and more rewarding position. The negative is two weeks off a year and long hours.

I'm not sad to see it on the market, I think someone will get a great boat with tons of PM and upgrades done for a fraction of the actual cost. With the asking price I'm not even recouping 25cents on the dollar spent, and most of the work done was by me so the money all new parts, not labor at a yard.

That said I don't really expect it to sell quickly, if at all given the current economic conditions. I think the boat is worth what I'm asking but there are many, many other nice boats for sale right now priced aggressively. It will take the right person looking for THIS boat.

We are actually going over to the "dark side" and looking at Downeast style lobster yachts. Reasonable fuel burns, nice comfortable ride, and a design that will get you home in any weather.

Time will tell...

RT

oceandreams89

Member II
Hey Rob,

Sorry to see your E-38 for sale. I have enjoyed your postings, and I believe we may have met once or twice at Block I. I have a 1989 38-200 "Ocean Dreams" in Mystic, CT. We were in Cuttyhunk last week and were anchored in the pond next to your friends Jay and Jenn on their new to them, Jersey 40. Nice people. He mentioned you had the same boat. When he mentioned you name, I knew right away which 38 he was speaking of.

Anyway, good luck with the sale. If I hear of anyone looking for one in our area, I will direct them your way. Until then, I hope to see you out and about!

Todd

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Hello Todd,
Yes we may have met before but to be honest my memory for faces and names is just terrible! Jay and Jenn are "good people", with 3 small kids, a hardcore boating family that are loads of fun to hang out with. Although the boat is actively for sale we are still using it. Actually, we are leaving for Cuttyhunk tomorrow through Monday. Finally got some time off! Thanks for the kind words regarding the sale, maybe we'll see you out there!

RT