1983 25+ Holding tank plumbing

Brad Johnson

Member III
image.jpgimage.jpgI am working on a 1983 25+ that was a good friend's boat , He passed away and I am refurbishing the boat. there is a 30" piece of 11/2" from holding tank and another 30" 1 1/2 " line from a sea caulk, they are both sealed off with a plastic bags , it looks like there must of been a manual pump for overboard discharge that connected the two lines together but I see no evidence of one. any idea ?????

Last edited:

bolbmw

Member III
On my 30+ I have a manual whale pump to pump out the holding tank in addition to the deck pump out. There is a single outlet on the holding tank which T's into the deck cap and the manual pump out. The whale pump is in the head, and was factory where there is a cut out for the pump. It's very convenient and gets used often as we are frequently more than 3 miles from shore.

If your holding tank is already rigged up to the deck cap and has no hole for a pump having the plumbing seems odd, let alone with some bags over them.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Standard kit for Ericson's in the 80's (and Olson's) was a Whale Gusher 10 for pumping out the holding tank when in legal discharge waters.
This was the same high-dollar pump used in the cockpit for manual pumping out the bilge.

High quality and high capacity pump, but the cast aluminum housing was never a good match for human waste. The pump case would corrode readily once the inner layer of powder-coat paint was scratched at all. I replaced this pump with a plastic one when I re-formatted the whole head plumbing setup.
Picture of our replacement hand pump is in reply 22 in this thread:
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...6251-New-Holding-Tank-Piping-amp-Valves/page2

Hard to believe that this prior project thread dates to 2008... Time flies!
:rolleyes:

I would not be surprised to find that your boat has the same basic head and holding tank setup.

Hope you have your latex gloves and some bleach handy!
:)