1981 38 For Sale $29,000 OBO - Mass.

Alan Conn

1981 38 Must Sell $19,900 - Mass.

Time's running out, Storage yard closing June 30, Serious Sale
Must sell our Ericson 38. Great Project boat. Needs some work.
Check out. http://home.comcast.net/~allidy/
or email me direct

Attachments

• image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
nice price for a 38...hey...does anyone know what year (1981, 82, 83, or 84) did ericson yachts do the "major upgrade" w/the fiberglass mold in the cockpits...ie: the camel hump in the helmsman seat, the rounded corners on all cockpit edging...the nice, confy rounded seat backs, etc..??....thanx....richard / colorado:confused:

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I know of an '83 35-3 that does not have it and my '85 does. So Maybe '84? Go look on YW and you can probably figure it out.

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Hump

I thought I read somewhere that it was an "option" before it became standard. Our 84 35-3 has it though.

- Cory

rbonilla

Tim....nice red on your e35.....the design change was so "big" in that 83-85 period...I think I would restrict my search to the 85 or newer design....My own persnl pref......In the meantime, we are fixing up and working on the e23 bottom.. .... :esad:

I know of an '83 35-3 that does not have it and my '85 does. So Maybe '84? Go look on YW and you can probably figure it out.

Attachments

• e23 close up bottom.jpg.jpg
    e23 close up bottom.jpg.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 87

Alan Conn

Sorry to anyone trying to get in touch, have been out of town.
Ours does have the hump seat, but I have seen other 81s that did not, so maybe it was an option.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Alan,
The boat looks quite enticing in the pictures, considering the modest price.
What sort of projects are involved?
(Wish the boat was in the NW, and I might just buy it...)
Loren in PDX

Alan Conn

This is as per the recent partial survey, some of which I do not agree with.

States: "major grounding in past with inner bilge keel sump floors which had poor repairs and evident FBG bonding cracks observed as well as delaminated sections of hull bottom and sides." gelcoat cracks full length of keel sump.
-- My 2002 survey showed none of this, and I never grounded "hard". I know for a fact that there was probably 1-2 inches of ice in the bottom of the bilge when he inspected it, so I don't know how he saw some of the damage he mentions. There are areas of small cracks where the cross members meet the sides though.

States: mast/deck area, P&S chainplate going forward and most of foredeck wet core and delamination
-- I can't argue with a meter, but wasn't there so not sure how much area he actually tested

Backstay lower swage showing cracks Standing rigging appears original should be replaced.
-- I dont doubt this

Cabin smells from mold/mildew/wood rot. Cabin soles plywoods are black from intrusion over the years.
-- It does smell like an old boat thats been in storage, some of the sole is black and delaminating.

Galley lower panels rotted to hull liners. Mid locker flexed cabinetry noted. Head mid/outboard noted flexed cabinet sections.
-- Some areas of the cabinetry have been delaminating, not to the liner. Not sure about Mid locker flex. Head mid/outboard bulkhead has flexed towards aft. was like this when I bought her.

Other projects could include a new engine, interior cushions, and sails.
It is an old boat, and needs some work, and I think I have it priced accordingly. And WILL accept the first reasonable offer.

I have updated the website with recent photos of the exterior., and am going to take some pictures of the above mentioned areas this week, and hope to post them this weekend.

Thanks,
Alan

rbonilla

after 4 - 6 hrs at the helm...those seats make a difference, ea? same w/the curved back rests along the prt & stb passenger sides.....i would imaigine....this is a nice price, if someone is willing to sort out the listed issues......this e38 looks like it has done some serious crusing, anyone have the history on places visited ? i think i saw this e38 advertised last summer for $60 - $75 k ....... :egrin:

I thought I read somewhere that it was an "option" before it became standard. Our 84 35-3 has it though.

- Cory

rbonilla

wow....nice log...you have put some miles under that keel....what are your overall impressions of cruising on a e38? +'s and -'s ?? how much energy can you save / get along with...with the solar and wind equipment?....thanx...richard / colorado

rbonilla

I really have to sell this in the next 30 days.

I can offer you $15k, sight un seen...with a current survey...the navy federal credit union will require me to have one......richard / colorado

Last edited: