1981 - 38-200 pros/cons

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
can anyone bring me "up to date" on the 1981 e38-200's?
* good points
* bad points
* what to watch for when lookin' at used ones...

what year did ericson inc. change the molds to include rounded
edges in the cockpit seats? rounded backs to the port / stbd
cockpit seatbacks and the camel hump style steering or capitan
seat all the way aft?

what year did ericson inc start using the trianglular force grid
mfg system?

:confused:

thanx....

Seth

Sustaining Partner
I can help with some of this..

I don't know about later tooling changes, but I am pretty sure that by 81 (and if not, for sure it was by 82) that the OPTION for the "humpback" seat was available. The standard was the flat seat, and you could order it with the "hump" IIRC. The hump may have become standard later on, but this is my recollection-anyone out there know different?

The TAFG was introduced in a small way on the 30+ of 1979-it was only in the midsections when the 30+ evolved from the 30-II. Later versions of the 30+ had a more substantial grid-running the whole length of the boat..

The first boat to have a full grid (and first boat designed around it) was in fact the 38-so that ALL 38's have the grid..

Not much, but something I hope!

Cheers,

S

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
checks...

One of the things that a bunch of us have had to deal with is the stainless keel bolts didn't hold up very well- and we had to have the keel dropped and the bolts repaired, etc...
there's a discussion about it on the board somewhere- I think Ted's 38-200 survey thread?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
May the Force be With You

Acronym note ...
The interior FRP bow-to-stern "skeleton" that Ericson used (pioneered?) was called the Tri Axial Force Grid. It both made the hull stiffer without the use of coring, and gave precise longitudinal surfaces to attach engines, shroud loads, and interior cabinetry. My guess is that it saved a lot of labor in finishing out the boats, and labor is where the $$ need to be saved wherever possible.
Ya think? Maybe?

Loren

Last edited:

rbonilla

thanx everyone, that info helps...i am thinkin' about l@@kin' at a used
1981...anyone have favorate years for the 38-200? and why?...
:cheers:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
I think, Maybe

10-4 Loren,:cheers: and may the "Schwartz" be with you! It IS the Tri-Axial Force Grid-not the Triangular, and you are right about the reasons and benefits to the factory (Duh!).
Rbonilla, they are very good boats-have a professional survey (for ANY boat this is a must) and if you like the boat and it passes muster and the price is fair, have at it!!

You know where to find us,

Signed,
S

Roger Ware

Member III
Ericson 38 200s

As far as I know, the E38 200 was not produced until 1986. Most of them were produced from 1988-1990. They produced less than a dozen with the engine under the galley sink, and then redesigned with the engine in a more conventional spot under the companionway steps.

The 38s built before that had the head forward and a quarter berth in place of the aft cabin. There was also a E381 which was different again, I forget how.

Cheers, Roger, Kingston, ON
E38 200 "Starlight II"

wurzner

Member III
My 38 has the engine under the galley sink and I love it. I have access from the front and two sides by removing access panels and the noise doesn't seem to be any different. For motoring, I would think the aft cabin would be pretty peaceful at least as far as dealing with a diesel sound goes. The key thing I like is the engine access and equally important, about 525 lbs located closer to the keel. I also like the look of how the sink comes back on an angle opposed to a straight 90 degree; I think it looks like a more modern layout. Keep in mind though, I'm not biased at all after spending every available spare minute over the last month de-commissioning, buffing, polishing, cleaning, and this Friday, completing the re-commissioning.

I really do like the boat and like all Ericsons, they all have more strenghts than weaknesses, but they still have them. Putting plywood down on decktop winch holders was not good since the plywood has rotted out. I'm sure I'll find more things about it going forward.

Shaun
S/V Sorcerer
E38-200 #207 (1986)
Everett Wa

noproblemo2

Member III
E38 1981

We have owned ours from day one, and has served us very well, to include 8 years in the Sea of Cortez, extremely well built great design(although we've made numerous interior changes) we don't get to sail much anymore due to health reason so we will probably be moving off her sometime this year and :boohoo: put ner on the market. Good luck to you in your search.:egrin:

wurzner

Member III
Note to noproblemo2

I must say that it is with a heavy heart that I read emails like yours. I'm sorry to hear that health reasons will ultimately influence your need to sell her, but then again, I guess that is better than it being driven financially in your case. Given you have owned the boat for 25 years including 8 years in the Sea of Cortez, it is reasonable to assume that have been enjoying your retirement years in the appropriate fashion and as such, serve as a great role model for me. Having just turned 40, I certainly hope the sailing gods allow me 25 safe years on the boat including the health to operate it.

that being said, I wish you all the best and once again, I hope that I can approach the time you have spent on the boat and hopefully share some of the same waters you have explored; your brief note seems like a page out of my game plan.

If your travels ever take you north to the Seattle area and you would like to continue the experiance on Puget Sound, please accept this email as an open invitation to go for a sail.

Having no children provides me the flexibility to go out on short notice and I would welcome having you on board and reflecting on your time on the water.

Fair winds my friend,

Shaun Wurzner
S/V Sorcerer
E38-200 #207
Everett, WA

Roger Ware

Member III
Shaun - I wasn't suggesting that the forward engine layout was in any way inferior to the later one - actually I don't know why they changed it because I agree that your set up has definite advantages. Personally I cant stand being below anywhere in the boat when the engine is running, so it wouldn't matter where it was located.

Happy sailing.

Roger
Kingston, ON

wurzner

Member III
Roger, I didn't read it that way. I was just stating my satisfaction of the layout and the engine location. I didn't even think of it until after I bought it. To be honest, they could have put the engine in the V berth and I still would have bought the boat for the some many wonderful things about it I like. All the 38's are great boats, regardless of the year and/or floor plan and I feel lucky to own one.

shaun

rbonilla

noproblemo2 >> question please....does your 81' have the "more modern" and confy rounded edjes and "rolled" seat backs in the cockpit area? does it have the "camel hump" rounded helmsman' seat?....thanx...also, is there a rounded lpg storage locker?.....many thanx....i will watch for your 38' possibilly hittin' the market, in the next year or two :egrin: what are your best crusin' grounds in mexican waters & why?....thanx !!...richard / colorado

noproblemo2 said:
We have owned ours from day one, and has served us very well, to include 8 years in the Sea of Cortez, extremely well built great design(although we've made numerous interior changes) we don't get to sail much anymore due to health reason so we will probably be moving off her sometime this year and :boohoo: put ner on the market. Good luck to you in your search.:egrin: