1979 Ericson Independence paint color

ShantyDropper

Hello! We have a 1979 Ericson Independence 31 and need to paint a portion of what seems to be a standard color for the model—-the off-white/light beige color. Does anyone know what that color is so that we can order a pint? Thank so much!

Attachments

• 0040C545-639E-4750-A75A-393F42AEF4D1.jpeg
    0040C545-639E-4750-A75A-393F42AEF4D1.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Back in Ye Olden Days... EY might have been using gel coat from the same company the others in the industry used: Ferro.
I doubt that they are still around, and any gel coat over 20 years old will have UV-faded enough that even a new batch of the same color code number would not really match it. If a prior owner has painted your hull, you would need to know the brand and color code to try to come close to a match.

Are you contemplating a repaint? A close-as-possible patch? I ask because after 20 years and a multitude of patched divots in our hull we finally had the hull repainted with Awlgrip. Solved the problem, but at a cost that commits us to ownership for another decade at least. :)

ShantyDropper

Back in Ye Olden Days... EY might have been using gel coat from the same company the others in the industry used: Ferro.
I doubt that they are still around, and any gel coat over 20 years old will have UV-faded enough that even a new batch of the same color code number would not really match it. If a prior owner has painted your hull, you would need to know the brand and color code to try to come close to a match.

Are you contemplating a repaint? A close-as-possible patch? I ask because after 20 years and a multitude of patched divots in our hull we finally had the hull repainted with Awlgrip. Solved the problem, but at a cost that commits us to ownership for another decade at least. :)
Thank you! We just need to paint over the name. The boat was repainted top to bottom in 2020 but it was before we bought it. I thought it was a standard color☺️. I guess I can just check with the yard and maybe they have it on file.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The name is painted on? Unusual in the age of vinyl lettering, which comes off easily.

Yes, you need to learn the paint brand and color. If unfamiliar with modern hull paints, I'd consider having a pro do it.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hello! We have a 1979 Ericson Independence 31 and need to paint a portion of what seems to be a standard color for the model—-the off-white/light beige color. Does anyone know what that color is so that we can order a pint? Thank so much!
Good looking boat!

peaman

Sustaining Member
Does anyone know what that color is so that we can order a pint?
If you end up needing to make a color choice yourself, you may find it really difficult to choose between dozens of off-whites using color chips. I found that by punching a hole in each "close match" color chip, making a final choice in good light seems much easier, as in the picture:

IMG_2767.JPG