1979 e35 Mk II vs 1988 e32-3

Latchdaddy

Still on the hunt, after two failed surveys. Before I commit to another, I'd like to hear views on the which is the better boat for club racing. Neither boat is currently setup to fly a spinnaker.
Thanks for the support!

adam

Member III
_Obviously_ the 35-2! But as an owner of one I'm incredibly biased. ;-)

And just a small correction, the other boat would be a 32-3 (not 32-2).

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Still on the hunt, after two failed surveys. Before I commit to another, I'd like to hear views on the which is the better boat for club racing. Neither boat is currently setup to fly a spinnaker.
Thanks for the support!

If the E-32 is an '88, it would be an E-32-3 (or if it had the aft head, and E-32-200). 1979 was the last year for the E-35-2, and will probably have a teak interior vs the frp inside liner of the early ones. Nice boat, too.
The 35 is larger, and also has the main sheet aft, which is superior IMHO.

Pretty hard to go wrong with either one.
Either model will tempt you to a lot of cruising....

If your local racing involves short courses and oodles of mark roundings in heavy traffic, then the late model 32 might be slightly more nimble. Maybe.
The aft traveler on the 35 would be a tad better for general sailing and racing. Both hulls are slippery.

Speaking of racing, you can race "white sails" class for a year while you work out a spinnaker rigging plan. These days you might end up using an A-sail anyway.

Happy hunting.
:)

Loren

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Another factor is the age difference. All our boats are vintage, and the systems and gear have to be brought back to life. Some boats need a lot, some less.

Now regarding club racing, ahem. Yes, this may be considered an opinion. Club racing is the devil beckoning dressed in a ball gown with cleavage. For competitive people it gets expensive as fast as the guy next to you buys a new headsail and his piece of junk boat outpoints you to the windward mark.

Club racing in the spinnaker classes would seriously impact my choice of a boat. I'd look at Olsons.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Sailingjoy.com list the following specs:

BOAT DISP LWL SA/D D/L PHRF

E32-3 9800# 25.83 17.4 254 156

E35-2 11600# 25.83 16.7 300 153

Based on these specs, the 32-3 is a little more performance oriented: It weighs 1800# lbs less but has the same waterline length (thus, a lower disp/length). The 32-3 also carries more sail than the 35-2 based on weight. As to the slightly lower PHRF of the 35-2........? maybe the handicapping authorities have a tendency to give larger boats lower handicap numbers. I would think the 32-3 would be the better performer.

Also, all else being equal, I would assume a 1988 boat might be in better condition than a 1979 boat. In reality of course, this may or may not be the case.

Ken

steven

Sustaining Member
I am another (very) happy owner an E35-2. Love this boat.
You will probably be fine with either model.

---Steve

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Still a happy owner of a very fast (and nimble) 32/200. PHRF rating is 177.

I looked at a 35 a few years ago that was well cared for by an elderly couple since new. It had some rot where the forward chainplates were and I wasn't crazy about the traveler location but I guess you could get used to it. They sailed her to Mexico and back to Mobile, AL several times.

Last edited: