1978 E29 topside handrails and hatches

mark.lutner

Hey all,

Does anyone know where I can purchase new topside teak handrails and hatches? The rails and hatches on the boat I bought recently are pretty beat up and have been sanded poorly over the years by previous owners. I could probably get another couple years out of them but am looking for someone/some place that manufactures new drop in replacements. My E29 doesn't have the interior handrails at all, though I wish it did.

Any information would be a big help!

Thanks,
Mark

Griff

Teak Handrails

Hi Mark,
I have recently purchased an E29 in Michigan and I have the same issues with hatches and handrails. I found a site that sells handrails that look very similar to the ones on my boat but I have not had a chance to measure mine to confirm a fit. The company is Sea Teak which should come up on Google. I'm not sure what to do with the hatches yet.
Cheers
Kevin

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
There are some threads here discussing this. Here's one:

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?8350-Hand-rail-rebedding-on-Ericson-29

Premade teak handrails and grab rails are widely available, Google shows many.

For searching this forum and others, the best idea is to use Google, and include "Ericson Forum" or "ericsonyachts.org" in the search line.

Also note the "similar threads" list under any helpful thread.

And welcome aboard, Mark and Griff!

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
Make your own

Does anyone know where I can purchase new topside teak handrails and hatches?

When I looked into this a few years back and had my E27, all the pre-manufactured options had more loops than what I had and it would have required drilling new holes and sealing up the existing holes. I decided to make my own, and have done the same now on my E35-II, including interior handrails. Here's a link to the discussion on the E27 project:

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?9191-E27-Replacement-Handrails

Note that I had little prior woodworking experience. Don Casey's book This Old Boat has good instructions.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Hand Rails, Did Someone Say Hand Rails

I have two from the interior of an E-28+. 63.25" in length.

Attachments

• PICT0059 (800x600).jpg
    PICT0059 (800x600).jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 184

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I have two from the interior of an E-28+. 63.25" in length.
Al,
One of mine has a crack and I'd like to replace it. If yours are in good shape I'd be interested in one or both of them. They appear to be identical to what is in my boat. PM me with details if you don't wind up selling them to someone else.

--Alan

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Or, just give in to the Stainless "dark side"

Over the decades, refinishing teak hand rails has been about the hardest job on our boat. :0
If we ever have any damage to one, they are both getting replaced with SS. There are lots of sources for those on the 'net, and I would also contact stateside boat builders like Catalina, Beneteau and Hunter about buying a pair from their shop if the length was appropriate. Any change in loop size at all will leave you with holes to fill and small circles of gel coat to match, but that's normal for an older boat -- along with filling dings in the deck or hull.

My .02 worth,
Lpren

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Handrails on the west coast

I shipped the E-28+ interior handrails pictured above to Alan Gomes in LA. Unfortunately they are not going to work for him. Rather than he shipping them back to me we've decided to leave them on the west coast as I believe there are many more E boats there than back in the east. If anyone desires them please contact Alan.