1976 Ericson 27 Tiller with Outboard - Where to put gas tank?

Jimbocky

I am new to my 1976 Ericson 27 with tiller steering and no inboard. I have mounted the outboard. Where should I put the gas tank so that it is not in the way of the tiller or the control arm of the outboard? Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• Outboard.jpeg
    Outboard.jpeg
    150.6 KB · Views: 9

Stuphoto

Member III
Probably not the best practice, but the former owner of my boat kept the tank in the starboard side cockpit locker with the hose coming through a broken vent.
I don't know if all the vents are original, but in my case it's well ventilated and I have never smelled any vapors building up.
I haven't changed this setup yet, although when I had to do a 30 knot passage I pulled it out partly to make it easier when filling.

Next year when I am tackling the topside, I may try a more permanent solution and install a used tank where my water tank once was in the lazarette.
They appear on the local Craigslist from time to time, and the odd one even looks similar to the old water tank.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
h
kept the tank in the starboard side cockpit locker
Depends on the tank. The standard red plastic outboard tanks should never be stored in the boat. A tank rated for use inside the boat would work fine there, but needs to be properly installed (vented to the outside, external fuel fill hose, no quick disconnect fittings, bilge blower and ignition protected switches etc.).

If looking for a place to store an external tank the best choice is probably right in front of the engine. The tiller will mainly be used for throttle control and lateral movement should only be needed infrequently when backing up; the rest of the time the motor will be locked in place in the centered position.

On my former E27 I had a metal tank fabricated and installed it beneath the cockpit in front of the rudder post.