1976 E32 Sheave size

Jelliebean

Im hoping someone with more experience can confirm or correct my estimated sheave sizing,

I dont have the old ones as the rigger I employed has disappeared with them along with other parts.

I intend to get new ones made and need to guess the size as getting to the boat is a 1200 mile round trip.

I have measured as best as I could and estimate the masthead sheaves are

3.5 inch diameter and 5/8 inch wide.
or
90mm diameter and 15.8mm wide

running on a 10mm clevis pin

there was 6 sheaves in the masthead all the same size but 2 had V groove and others u groove, Ill be replacing running rigging with 10mm line

I hope to use Zepherworks to make them.

Attachments

• 20191005_152110.jpg
    20191005_152110.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200627_172700.jpg
    20200627_172700.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 9

tenders

Innocent Bystander
For what it’s worth, Ed at Zephyrwerks made me four replacement sheaves (there were only four) for my ‘69 32 masthead in 2016.

The original old-timey phenolic sheaves had a vee-shaped groove for a wire-to rope halyard, and the new ones had a u-shape for a 7/16” main halyard and a v-shape for 3/16” Amsteel genoa halyard. The specs as they appeared on my invoice (#2489, if you want to talk to him about it for reference) were 3.5” x 0.65” for 3/8” pin for the 7/16” line, and 3.5” x 0.65” for 3/8” pin for the 3/16” line. The price then was $54 each plus shipping.

Last edited:

chris85green

Member I
Also looking to replace my sheaves and I was up top of my mast a few days ago but didn't take the measurements. I'll be back up in a few days to see if mine line up with you twos' specs but from what I saw it looks like what @tenders spec'd out. Question though, is there any issue with having a new sheave made for up to 10 or 11mm but using an 8mm line? The old lines were steel cable to rope but I'm switching to just rope.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Also looking to replace my sheaves and I was up top of my mast a few days ago but didn't take the measurements. I'll be back up in a few days to see if mine line up with you twos' specs but from what I saw it looks like what @tenders spec'd out. Question though, is there any issue with having a new sheave made for up to 10 or 11mm but using an 8mm line? The old lines were steel cable to rope but I'm switching to just rope.
I would first suggest stating your boat's model and year in a signature line. That can help us help you.
Lacking that hint, I ask if you have a Kenyon spar? By measuring the mast section and observing the shape, you can likely figure out the section ID, and the helpful guy at Zephyr might be able to give you an idea of the new sheave size and a quote.
I know that there is info online about Kenyon sections, but someone else may have to post up a link.

chris85green

Member I
I would first suggest stating your boat's model and year in a signature line. That can help us help you.
Lacking that hint, I ask if you have a Kenyon spar? By measuring the mast section and observing the shape, you can likely figure out the section ID, and the helpful guy at Zephyr might be able to give you an idea of the new sheave size and a quote.
I know that there is info online about Kenyon sections, but someone else may have to post up a link.
Whoops I have a E35-2 with the style of mast head in the image below.

Attachments

• 9436-2c5ec880ba920aa29cba16ea1e0bf3cd.jpg
    9436-2c5ec880ba920aa29cba16ea1e0bf3cd.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 17

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I replaced my sheaves a number of years ago and likewise got rid of the wire which was a relic from the days when alternative materials stretched too much. I would have to go to the boat to measure what I put in, but there is no reason why you can not run a smaller diameter halyard than the diameter of the sheave.

I also had to redrill the holes for the sheaves since they had been originally mounted too far into the mast head so that the halyards were rubbing on the mast which was sharp after decades of running wires.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

chris85green

Member I
I replaced my sheaves a number of years ago and likewise got rid of the wire which was a relic from the days when alternative materials stretched too much. I would have to go to the boat to measure what I put in, but there is no reason why you can not run a smaller diameter halyard than the diameter of the sheave.

I also had to redrill the holes for the sheaves since they had been originally mounted too far into the mast head so that the halyards were rubbing on the mast which was sharp after decades of running wires.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972
Hey there, any chance you know the size of sheaves you used when replacing yours?

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
The new sheaves were the same diameter as the old ones, but the groove for the halyards was as wide as the sheave itself which as I recall was 1/2". I do not expect to be back at the boat to measure then for a good few months, but can do so then if you have not finished the project yet.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

chris85green

Member I
The new sheaves were the same diameter as the old ones, but the groove for the halyards was as wide as the sheave itself which as I recall was 1/2". I do not expect to be back at the boat to measure then for a good few months, but can do so then if you have not finished the project yet.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972
No worries, I spoke with the guy at zephyr works and he wants me to pull the actual sheaves and he can get the new ones in a day or two. I will be pulling the mast in a week or two.

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Getting the sheaves out was a simple matter of using a hammer and punch to knock them through.

Watch out for the problem I described above of the wires having cut sharp grooves into the mast which would damage new halyards.