1976 E-27 Spreader-feet replacements

John Murphy

:confused: Trying to locate spreader "feet" (to attach spreaders to the mast) For a 1976 E-27 . Mine have cracked and broken & I do not know if welding is a viable solution. Please let me know where these can be gotten. Oue short season is here and I do not want to miss out on sailing!!!

Thanx,

"Murph"

!!

Bob in Va

Member III
Spreader base plates

John, the PO of my boat had one of them welded up after it cracked, and so far it has held up well. It is cast alloy, and I don't know exactly what the composition is, but obviously it can be welded. My boat is a '76 E-23, but the spreaders are pretty massive and foil sectioned, not round. I suspect your base plates are the same as mine. Make sure you have right amount of up-angle on the flange so that the spreaders come pretty close to bisecting the angle of the upper shroud.

Walter Pearson

Member III
I think you'll get an equal number or proponents and opponents of welding that cast aluminum. One thing I would watch out for if they are welded is the final fit on the mast. If they tend to rock or have a gap, there may be stress on the casting which may lead to a repeat fracture. I waxed the mast and dry mounted the bracket - using minimal fastener torque - with some J-B Weld underneath to obtain a flush mounting surface on the bracket.

I did have a broken bracket welded but then went in a different direction and made brackets from stainless flat stock. I would do it a little differently next time, but if anyone has interest, I could share drawings, etc.

Attachments

• spreader brkt.jpg
    spreader brkt.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 128